PDA

View Full Version : 2 table tourneys

mason55
11-08-2004, 01:49 AM
OK, so there's tons of info on here about the 1 table SNGs at all the big sites, but how many people ever play the 2 tables? I know they exist at Pacific and I believe they exist at PokerStars as well (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I've been relatively successful playing the 2 tables at Pacific (as well as $10+1 one tables, ~200 with an ROI of 35%) but I'm looking for some discussion on ways to improve at the two table tournaments. The problem I find that just as it gets to the point where it's time to start stealing blinds and getting aggressive, the tables are combined and it's difficult to steal from 10 people.

Most of the advice on here is basically "Play only premium hands till you can steal the blinds, then steal lots of blinds and get more aggressive" but without the ability to steal the blinds when they hit 50/100 this strategy leaves you very short on chips.

I've been having success playing a little looser than anyone here would probably recommend but it's been working. Looking at flops with hands like A8, K9s, even limping in with A6s hoping for a big hit. I play the $8+$.80 (and started on the $2+$.20s) and, like I said, I do reasonably well, but a lot of times I feel like I've gotten lucky. I guess I'm looking for some discussion with people as to the types of starting hands and when to switch into different gears.

I try to limp a lot early and hope to catch a hand, but I feel that I can do that since I can usually tell if I'm out kicked (obviously not always but I just make sure not to get involved in big hands early if anyone shows resistance when I flop top pair). Once I get a decent stack I start punishing people for limping and doing as good as I can to steal pots where multiple people have limped. Once the tables recombine I tighten up if I have enough chips and proceed with typical SNG play. Otherwise I get aggressive when necessary to steal blinds or hope to double up.

Would most of you compare the first table to more of a MTT strategy? What suggestions would people who have more experience than me at this provide? Does anyone have any good hands they can show to demonstrate a good move in a 2 table that would be a bad move in a 1 table?

rachelwxm
11-08-2004, 03:29 PM
I have play some two table SNGs on ps. I agree that once table merge and it becomes hard to steal with marginal hands from late position mostly because limpers early. However, I don't think it's that bad. Good thing is that by the time it merge, there is always short stack desperate to make a move in with marginal hands, or you can identify some loose raisers and punished them by your solid hands. I have pull back from <5bb a few times.

Overall, my guess ROI for 2table is slightly higher than 1table and it takes longer too.

mason55
11-08-2004, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have pull back from <5bb a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's one thing I've noticed. In 1 table SNGs, the rule is once you drop below 10BB it's all in or nothing and as your stack drops the number of hands to go all in on increases. In a two table, once the tables merge, you have a lot more time to sit and wait for a hand. Many times I find myself having to act differently than I would in a one table once I'm on a short stack because I get to see almost twice as many hands for each blind I post.

You also have to remember that the chances of your opponent having a good hand increase when the tables merge, so it's not as easy to steal with marginal hands because your opponents hands are usually a little better. This was actually one of the more difficult changes I had when moving from one to two tables and is one of those places I was looking for where a two table strategy might differ from a one table strategy.

Miamipuck
11-08-2004, 11:48 PM
I hope this helps.........

My goal is to get to the final table (Duh). My strategy is different from yours. I play very similar to the way I play in the early rounds of a STT. I play tight aggressive, not willing to mix it up too much other than with premium hands. I will try and can get in cheap with a PP or suited connector. In the early rounds I find there is usually really poor play.(again Duh).

My goal or # in a 3 table is to have around 2400 chips or more when I reach the final table. I just use this number, it really is arbitrary. I find on almost every final table there are 1-2 people that play loose and try and steal, while the rest just are tighter than a drum. Just sit back and relax. There will be 2-3 eliminated in no time flat. This is when I get more aggressive and switch gears. Even the looser players tighten up. I just do the opposite. Then, when and if I can accumulate enough chips, I switch gears again. I then tighten up so when the short stacks get real desperate and they play Ax or Kx, which they inevitably do, I hammer them with the better hands. On a 2 table as long as I get to the final table I am happy.

Anyway this is as general as I can make it.

I play in the 30 and 50 2-3 table SNG's on Party Poker. In 258 tourny's, my ROI is slightly north of 36%. I know it is not a great sample size. But it is the only one I have. I put it all on a spreadsheet.

This is pretty vague. If you have any specifics fire away.