PDA

View Full Version : Learning to play weak hands in shorthanded games

kelvin474
11-08-2004, 01:28 AM
The game is 5-10 Party 6-max. It's 4-handed and I have just sat down. I want to know if you think i played well postflop. I'll also describe what the plan was in hypothetical flop/turn/river scenarios.

kelvin474 is the BB and has A /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG calls, Button folds, SB completes. kelvin474 checks. Question: do you fold, call or 3 bet an SB raise?

Flop (3 SB): Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks. kelvin474 checks. Button checks.

Turn (1.5 BB): 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks. kelvin474 bets. UTG calls. SB folds.

I picked up a gutshot that is probably good and a diamond might be good too. I think I might be ahead and I wanted to give complete garbage a chance to fold or make a big mistake drawing to a 6-outer. If i got turn raised I was going to checkfold the river unless i got an ace, diamond or 5. Does this bet have any chance of folding a better ace? Would most better aces have fired at the flop or PF raised? After I only got called on the turn I thought that my opponent had either a Queen, raggy crap including a diamond, a 2, 35s, or a better ace that still wasnt very good like A6 no diamond. I was also aware that many players would play a 4 the way I had to that point. I have 2 outs to what appears to be a good hand and 4 outs to what appears to be a very strong hand. 9 more to a "eh, maybe?" hand. Can I check/call the turn and dump it unimproved? Giving up too much "win without a showdown" equity to do this maybe? I thought checkfolding the turn was too weak given I had faced no strength and had some shots at a hand, but the pot is also small so I'm not sure. Being unsure is common for me in 2-way and 3-way pots when I have a weak hand that might have a chance.
River (3.5 BB): 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

No help. I have reached the river with Ace high. I bet the river. Do you like betting the river? It doesnt appear that many better hands will fold here in this game. If I get raised, I planned to drop because I have seen almost no pure bluff-raising the river in this situation. I thought my check flop/bet turn gave him enough to think about in the way of diamonds and 4's that he wouldnt try it.

However, if I checked, i think he might decide i was trying to steal on the turn and bet a King with a diamond. So I wouldn't feel completely comfortable with checkfolding the river. That's why I bet. Do you think I can fold out a pair of anything in this situation by betting? If not, I might want to check-call. I think if I check the river, he's going to fire with king-high or less enought that I need to call. Is this anyone elses experience, or would you have not been in this situation to begin with?

Trying to learn how to play those headsup and 3-way pots better in 5-10 6max.

kelvin474