PDA

View Full Version : The dark side of trying to tilt someone...

KingSix
11-08-2004, 01:02 AM
So the usual Party clown going on and on attacking everyone and going bonkers when his TT doesn't hold against a field of 7 callers....

I call his UTG raise with 82s in the BB after 3 cold callers. I end up making a straight after calling flop with a flush draw. Sure enough he gives the free card on the turn to four of us and we see the river for free. It gives me the straight and he makes the crying call with his AA and goes ballistic.

He goes into the usual "I'll take all your chips" and "let's play heads up for $1,000" dribble. Of course he/she is a total LAG (55 VP$/19 PFR).

Sadly, my efforts at fully capitalizing on my ITO go very wrong!

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (6.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.16 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+1 (8.16 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 9h 9d (two pair, tens and nines).
UTG+1 has Kd Qd (straight flush, ace high).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 8.16 BB. </font>

King

x2ski
11-08-2004, 01:10 AM
I bet he really laid into then, about how he "had you the whole way," etc.

River2Pair
11-08-2004, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 9h 9d (two pair, tens and nines).
UTG+1 has Kd Qd (straight flush, ace high).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 8.16 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought a <font color="white">straight flush, ace high</font> was called a <font color="white">royal flush</font>

Evan
11-08-2004, 01:45 AM
You're river check-call sucks.

edthayer
11-08-2004, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're river check-call sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's so bad about it? I think laying down his hand is too weak, and he certainly doesn't want to deal with a raise... what would you have him do?

KingSix
11-08-2004, 03:09 AM
I have about 750 hands with this particular player and despite his loose PF hand selection, my notes on him are that he won't come beyond the turn without a.) a pair b.) a draw c.) Two face cards. Since that river card hit just about every one of those three possibilities I didn't feel that this was anything resembling a value betting situation.

I figured he had something like KJ and would check behind me. I also thought he was very weak because he just called along and has been fairly aggressive previously on the flop when CC a raise. I was right about the weak part, but wrong about the hand. Even so, no way I give him credit for this hand here.

Even so, I got a chuckle out of it and shared.

King

sthief09
11-08-2004, 04:26 AM
why didn't you play him headsup?

sthief09
11-08-2004, 04:28 AM
my notes on him are that he won't come beyond the turn without a.) a pair b.) a draw c.) Two face cards

then why didn't you fold the river?

Zetack
11-08-2004, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the man makes Royal flushes...weren't you paying attention? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

--Zetack

KingSix
11-08-2004, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then why didn't you fold the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply sthief09, your opinions are among those that I greatly value here on 2+2.

Easy...a pair and a draw were both possibilities. While this DID include things like KJ and A4, it also included hands like 76s and 98, both of which I had cold calls from him in PT.

BTW....I'm not one who prides myself on "big laydowns" or any such thing in a LL game. I'm getting 7 to 1 on my river call and am probably good here more than 15% of the time. Even if I'm only good 10% of the time, I probably lose MORE by showing that I'll lay down a hand I bet the whole way for one bet on the river. Astute players will pick up on this and simply bet when I check the river.

IMO, Poker doesn't exist in a vacuum...was this one single call on the river probably -EV? I think it was close.

Do I benefit from the way this hand went down? Absolutely. He is going to be in bad shape against my UTG raises if he is going to cold call with hands that are likely dominated or in bad shape. He is also going to be in poor shape if he is going to chase a gut straight draw heads up.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a big math geek and good SH or HU play takes a different set of....um...."requirements", specifically a "big set" of certain ones. I am a realist and stick to what I am good at which is full ring games for cash. I'm not great SH and I'm a poor tournament player.

[ QUOTE ]
Because the man makes Royal flushes...weren't you paying attention?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

King