PDA

View Full Version : was this fold weak tight?

PokerGoblin
11-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 ($42.9)
MP1 ($38.7)
MP2 ($55.85)
MP3 ($32)
Hero ($26.85)
Button ($12.4)
SB ($32.45)
BB ($34.5)
UTG ($23.75)
UTG+1 ($52.45)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, Button folds, SB (poster) calls $2.25, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds.

Flop: ($6.50) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $7</font>, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($20.50) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $35.50

----------------------------------------------------------
A few thoughts:

No reads on the Villian, so no info there.

He cold called from the small blind. I made a bet from the CO of $2.50 (my standard raise with a premium hand). His cold call could mean anything... he could have any 2 suited cards, a medium pair or he could be slowplaying a monster.

My vote is for a medium pair, maybe he had 9-9 or 2-2 and flopped a set, which would explain the checkraise after the flop.

Should I have moved in after his check-raise? It crossed my mind that he could have been bluffing. I decided to just call and see what he did after the turn.

I have been burned so many times holding hands like TPTK that I have become gunshy as of late. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

PG

willie24
11-08-2004, 02:06 AM
that's a tough situation.

make a decision on the flop. you are either all-in or folding. calling the flop and then folding to a 3/4 pot bet on the turn is a waste of $4. if you knew you would fold on the turn you should fold on the flop.

i think folding on the flop to the check-raise may have been right, but i wouldn't argue with someone who decided to push either.

fimbulwinter
11-08-2004, 02:20 AM
good fold. if your ace was the Ace of spades, things change.

fim

emil3000
11-08-2004, 11:07 AM
At Party $25 with short stacks I'm moving in on this flop. It costs me a stack sometimes, but most the times it wins me a stack. He could figure you for a steal, loosies love that. He could also raise with a lesser king. With no reads I generally figure my opponents for worthless players, on pp $25. Admittedly they are pretty seldom aggressive, but nonetheless. Been a while since I've played there though, so I'm not sure.

PokerGoblin
11-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

A few thoughts:

This isn't the first situation I've been in of this nature. TPTK hands had won me a ton of small pots and gotten me stacked off a ton of times as well. The point that I gave away 4 bucks by calling the post-flop reraise and folding at the turn is valid and I will learn from that mistake.

I have moved in on postflop in this identical situation before, and I've decided that the only people who call will have me beat.

My preflop raise was met w/ an autofold by the button and an almost instant call by the button, which basically screams medium pocket pair or some kind of big drawing hand.

It occured to me he may have AK, which would explain the call preflop and the check raise on the king high flop. But I wasn't going to call $15 to try to split a $19 pot.

Thanks for the responses, what I learned is it's push or fold to the checkraise. That all depends on my read. In this case I had none.

PG

okayplayer
11-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Why such a small bet on the flop on a drawing board?

It was correct to fold.

JohnG
11-10-2004, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
=Flop: ($6.50) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $7</font>, Hero calls $4.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the texture of the board, bet the full pot on the flop.

When you bet less and get raised, due to the ratios and your hand, move in or fold. Calling and then folding the turn is a poor option.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have moved in after his check-raise? It crossed my mind that he could have been bluffing. I decided to just call and see what he did after the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The money is not deep enough for this. Call it about $19 in the pot after you call the flop raise. In order for you to call to see what he did on the turn, you would both need about $38 left in the stacks after your call. Less than this, and you are usually better off moving in or folding.