PDA

View Full Version : Best sausages and etc.

Zeno
11-08-2004, 12:17 AM
At the moment I am gnawing on a fantastic homemade sausage and slurping on an Anchor Steam Beer. The sausage is a venison and pork blend with spices and jalapeno peppers added. Delicious. Got them from a good old boy Texan that I am working on a project with. He is quite the character from College Station Texas. Anyway, as I am enjoying this feast of meat and spice I think a rundown on best sausages, whatever the type, kind of condiments to use, and appropriate wash down fluids would be informative and welcome to the dizzying dapper dudes that pulsate and throb on this forum.

Any favorites? Any specialty Ma and Pa places that hand make sausages (or bratwursts etc) - favorite types and so on.

-Zeno

YourFoxyGrandma
11-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Sausage gives me a tummyache. I don't know why. It's unfortunate that it's so delicious; I wouldn't be so depressed all the time...

Victor
11-08-2004, 12:27 AM
bratwurst from the west side market in cleveland is great. if you talk to some people you can even get your own personal butcher. then you really get hooked up.

also, i like the white bratwurst in wisconsin area from when i was a kid.

i like brats.
i even like sausage.
there are just some things
i cant eat every day,
ride on lonesome cowboy.

Rushmore
11-08-2004, 12:48 AM
I used to live right across the street from a Fresh Fields (called Whole Foods elsewhere)in Falls Church, VA. They had this kickass wild boar sausage--it was incredible, really.

One day I had the bright idea of getting them started in the pan with a little water, then basting them with Guiness.

I'm not sure how I came up with this, or why it worked so well, but there was some sort of carmelization process that occurred, and they blackened but didn't burn, and they tasted even better than before.

Try it.

andyfox
11-08-2004, 12:56 AM
I don't like Anchor Steam Beer. It doesn't taste like beer. It tastes like spoiled ginger beer.

Sausages are a horrible food. Stuff is ground up and shoved into a casing. Neither the stuff nor the casing is edible. The only sausage type food I can tolerate is Hebrew National hot dogs, made under the supervision, they say, of a Higher Authority.

But I still love you.

Regards,
Andy

maryfield48
11-08-2004, 01:15 AM
There's a little town called Boston, in the parish of Portland , that's the home of the cooking style known as 'Jerk'. Jerked sausages, from the outdoor roasting pits in Boston, with roasted breadfruit, and a Red Stripe to wash it down. There's nothing better.

But you'd better be able to tolerate spicy.

--
Peter

bugstud
11-08-2004, 01:16 AM
what brand sam's carries, the spiciest stuff they got. Good stuff.

mmbt0ne
11-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Ah man, I really want some sausage now. Anyone know of anywhere good in Atlanta? And they better be spicy, Mom didn't raise me on cajun food for nothing.

Zeno
11-08-2004, 01:43 AM
Somehow, I think that having sausages made under the supervision of a 'Higher Authority' would detract from their taste as much as it would add to their holy aura.

As an added aside, I have inside information that 'Higher Authorities' enjoy Anchor Steam Beer; in fact, St. Peter has an ice chest full of Anchor Steam at the pearly gates and gives out one per saved soul that strolls into the gold-paved streets of the eternal city. Or I think it says so in the Book of Revelations. But I could have got all this confused with something else I read long ago, when the world was fresh and much easier on the eyes and heart.

[ QUOTE ]
But I still love you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

As always,

Zeno

Ray Zee
11-08-2004, 02:21 AM
gives you high cholesterol and a fat as-. the steam beer is as andy says. move to montana and learn to eat and drink properly.

if they are patties thats okay --tubes are out. venison is great, elk better, and antelope make the best.

eat, drink, and get mary

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 02:28 AM
This guy at my work had some antelope pepperoni, it was the bomb baby!

scrub
11-08-2004, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't like Anchor Steam Beer. It doesn't taste like beer. It tastes like spoiled ginger beer.

Sausages are a horrible food. Stuff is ground up and shoved into a casing. Neither the stuff nor the casing is edible. The only sausage type food I can tolerate is Hebrew National hot dogs, made under the supervision, they say, of a Higher Authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on the beer--vile stuff that the east coast was not afflicted with, so it caught me by surprise.

Your dislike of sausage, however, is unfortunate. Not as bad as your Yankees fandom, but close.

scrub

ddollevoet
11-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Johnsonville Brats...

and it isn't even close.

MrGo
11-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Nothing in the country compares to Johnsonville brats/sausages. Wisconsin produces some damn good sausage. Order some from their website - you'll thank me later.

elwoodblues
11-08-2004, 11:26 AM
I think jerked sausages is something else entirely.

elwoodblues
11-08-2004, 11:28 AM
I just started making my own a few weeks ago. I made a very good italian sausage and a decent breakfast sausage. Plan on doing bratwurst soon.

bugstud
11-08-2004, 12:22 PM
I prefer the hot italian sausages I mentioned over Johnsonville hot italians. YMMV.

Tyler Durden
11-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Anyone ever had Klement's sausages? It's a company in Wisconsin.

Lottery Larry
11-08-2004, 12:55 PM
I like knockwurst and brautwusrt...

and any sausage worthy of its name cannot require a condiment to make it take excellent

jakethebake
11-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Elgin Sausage from Elgin, TX with a Shiner Bock. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

maryfield48
11-08-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno what that means. Various pieces of pig stuffed into a casing made from the intestine. Sausage, no?

--
Peter

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno what that means. Various pieces of pig stuffed into a casing made from the intestine. Sausage, no?

--
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Masturbating.

Zeno
11-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Making your own sausage sounds like fun. Any real set up cost or hassle etc.? I have a great recipe for a Portuguese soup that requires sausage. It is a great soup but what really makes it sing is excellent sausage (hot or mild, however you like it) and homegrown tomatoes.

-Zeno

MrGo
11-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Klements makes a good sausage here in WI, but Johnsonville is king.

Zeno
11-08-2004, 03:25 PM
I should be in Montana sometime in 2005. I plan to stop by and shoot all the bricks off your chimney Mr. Zee. I'll bring by a case of Anchor Steam as reimbursement. Choice was my last Anchor Steam or start on the new case of Redhook IPA. Being systematic, I chose the Anchor Steam. I like what I like and fresh oysters washed down with Anchor Steam is a great pleasure to me.

I never have had a fat ass. Always been in good shape and I eat lots of ‘bad’ stuff. I never worry about cholesterol. I will last as long as I last and then flop down into the dust.

A sausage patty for breakfast is a great start to a long day of fishing. or getting mary.

-Zeno

elwoodblues
11-08-2004, 04:57 PM
You have to have a meat grinder. Other than that, it's just finding good recipes (this is for sausage that isn't smoked). I have a Kitchen Aid mixer and bought a grinder attachment for it for a couple of different recipes that I make. The sausage has been a new thing to try.

elwoodblues
11-08-2004, 05:14 PM
It's a rare post that can be responded to with the lone word: Masturbating. Kudos to you for finding it!

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a rare post that can be responded to with the lone word: Masturbating. Kudos to you for finding it!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks man, one more post and you are a Pooh Bah, BTW.

Slacker13
11-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Having been born in Wisconsin and living there 23 years I can say that you are absolutely correct. Nothing beats Brats or Sausage from Wisky.

As far as the condiment question goes, onions, relesh, mustard and ketchup are all that is needed. Washing it down with a Heinekin isn't a bad idea either.

maryfield48
11-08-2004, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

--
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Masturbating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh. Anyway, happy to provide you with an opportunity to get props from elwood.

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 05:51 PM
thanks dawg.

Tyler Durden
11-08-2004, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Klements makes a good sausage here in WI, but Johnsonville is king.

[/ QUOTE ]

The girl I've been dating, her father owns Klement's. She's always telling me how great the sausages are, but I can't eat them b/c I don't eat pork/bacon/ham/pepperoni.

jakethebake
11-08-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The girl I've been dating, her father owns Klement's. She's always telling me how great the sausages are, but I can't eat them b/c I don't eat pork/bacon/ham/pepperoni.

[/ QUOTE ] Your girlfriend swallows her daddy's sausage...heheheheheheh.

vulturesrow
11-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Zeno,

Best sausage Ive ever eaten is made by the Gilchrist Sausage Corporation here in Gilchrist County Florida. I dont think it is very easy to obtain outside of Florida. I am visiting Florida right now and if you would like me to pick up some for you I will and we can arrange shipment. I leave Florida first thing Saturday morning, please let me know.

Rick Nebiolo
11-09-2004, 07:20 AM
This might be heresy but I've been getting chicken sausages from Trader Joe's lately. Really like the "Mushroom Asiago" flavor. Just put a package in front of me so I could spell it and now have the grill on (note time of post /images/graemlins/grin.gif) and plan on having a couple with a bit of sweet honey mustard.

~ Rick

Ulysses
11-09-2004, 07:48 AM
I prefer Aidell's Chicken sausage over the Trader Joe's. Aidell's Chicken Apple sausage is my favorite variety. Tonight I had some with a Ybor Gold Brown Ale. A friend bought me a micro-brew and international beer-of-the-month club membership, so I now have all sorts of wacky beers to try.

Zeno
11-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Grilling chicken sausage at four thirty in the morning. That's a wacky sechdule. Enjoy. Mustard is great on many sausages but not required. Honey mustard is a twee (thank you Tommy Angelo) too gay for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Zeno

Rick Nebiolo
11-09-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mustard is great on many sausages but not required. Honey mustard is a twee (thank you Tommy Angelo) too gay for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The sausages were greatbut I misstated the name of the mustard. It is actually "Trader Joe's Hot and Sweet Mustard" which shouldn't be so "twee". /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

~ Rick

ThaSaltCracka
11-09-2004, 12:49 PM
yeah the hot and sweet hot dog mustard is the bomb man.

Rick Nebiolo
11-09-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer Aidell's Chicken sausage over the Trader Joe's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just googled the site and it looks like Ralph's and Stater Brothers carries them. Also Cosco. I'll check them out soon.

~ Rick

Zeno
11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
OK. You are back on the He-man list again. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

J.A.Sucker
11-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Best sausage is definately the Vietnamese blood sausage. I don't remember what they're called, but they're kind of sweet and tangy - about the size of a brat. They could be the greatest thing on earth. No joke. Diablo, if you ain't tried this yet, you need to. It will change your life.

elwoodblues
11-09-2004, 02:57 PM
blood sausage is absolutely disgusting. We used to have it all the time as kids. I still get the gag reflex just thinking about it.

Ulysses
11-09-2004, 04:46 PM
My favorite sweet hot mustard is made by Beaver. A lot of grocery stores carry it.

If you decide to google this, I just found that the following two searches provide very different results:

"sweet hot mustard beaver"

"sweet hot beaver"

YourFoxyGrandma
11-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Do you guys think that at some later date there'll be another sausage post by someone unaware of this one and we'll all be like, "Dude, someone already posted about sausages. Use the search function."

jakethebake
11-09-2004, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think that at some later date there'll be another sausage post by someone unaware of this one and we'll all be like, "Dude, someone already posted about sausages. Use the search function."

[/ QUOTE ]I hope so.

Skjonne
11-11-2004, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
......slurping on an Anchor Steam Beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not forget to taste Anchor Old Foghorn. Absolutely marvelous!