PDA

View Full Version : AA vs. turn reraise... advice please...

GlemZurg
11-08-2004, 12:00 AM
How would you all play this turn reraise?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (8 handed)

Button ($56.7)
SB ($43.15)
BB ($149.35)
GlemZurg ($49.15)
UTG+1 ($48.75)
MP1 ($60.4)
MP2 ($50)
CO ($170.18)

Preflop: GlemZurg is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="CC3333">GlemZurg raises to $3</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $3, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($7.50) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">GlemZurg bets $7</font>, CO calls $7.

Turn: ($21.50) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">GlemZurg bets $20</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $40</font>, <font color="red">GlemZurg ???</font> (pot is $80 and I have $20 left)

Ben
11-08-2004, 12:12 AM
With these stacks I don't think you have a choice about getting all in.

fimbulwinter
11-08-2004, 01:19 AM
i hate being in positions like this.

1. you're behind like 70% of the time here

2. you do have outs to whatever he has short of quads

3. the pot is offering you too good of odds here; the math dictates you must call.

avoid this situation in the future by

1. raising more preflop (3xb is practically a minraise), especially UTG. if he wants position against a hand you're in love with, he must pay dearly for it.

2. check the flop. you don't want to play a big pot, because you're behind under most circumstances if the pot gets real big HU. you hold the Ad so the odds he called with a suited ace/flushdraw is zero.

3. if you're worried about a turn d, remember that you have a nutflush redraw. because the Ad is in your hand, you will more likely be called by a Q or 33. all other pockets will fold.

4. you'd still like to make $ off this hand, so let him bluff at you with ace high or a mid PP. you're only getting called by hands that have you crushed or are drawing very live. a bet here, overall, is -EV.

5. if the villian is weak/tight, he'll fold to a flop checkraise without a Q or 33. if he's loose, dont try this move, but pulling a flop checkraise is another option.

6. if he does have the Q, his actions will let you know when you check.

given the preflop play, i'd wait, check and raise a pot sized bet of his. if he calls or pushes, i'm done here unless i hit my running flush, and even then i'm not in love with my hand.

main point is that you dont want to get all-in with this flop, because if you do, you're behind. betting at a pot in which you have only 3xBB invested is not a good way to keep the pot small.

fim

willie24
11-08-2004, 01:51 AM
under normal circumstances this is a clear fold. but since you can get allin for $20 it becomes a clear call. you only need to win 1/5 times to call. because you are so shortstacked, CO does not fear losing to you like he normally would, and will probably be slightly looser post-flop, (knowing that a short stack (you) has good reason to be aggressive in big pots).

this means he may have any pocket pair. the chances of him having a queen are probably only about 50%, and you can call confidently.

you played this hand well. because you did not immediately go allin, you allow weaker pocket pairs to go to showdown. don't let them off the hook now.