PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a university poker club...

arabie
11-07-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm trying to influence my school's student council to fund my texas hold em' club. I'm in the process of formulating my constitution for submission and was wondering if anyone had any dieas regarding why the club should exist. The heading is, "Purpose for the Club's Existence", and i'm expected to list reasons like,
1) To educate students on the rules and history of poker.
2) To read and discuss poker literature.
3) To create a learning evirnoment for students to enhance their skills in probability, psychology and game theory.
4) etc.

Any good ideas i can throw in to spice it up? I'm trying to b.s. them to make it seem like i'm not opening a club for the sake of gambling.

chabibi
11-07-2004, 11:41 PM
this is the stupidest idea i have ever heard maybe instead of wasting your time with bullshit like this you should try something like going to class

YourFoxyGrandma
11-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Impressive. A few things...

Although it's sortof implied, you might include ettiquite with #1 implying there's a vast ocean of things to learn about the game that you can't simply get from a book. Also, you didn't include strategy. I can't come up with a good wording, but something about the social aspect of the game could be good to add as well.

Good luck; I hear those student council people can be tricky /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

YourFoxyGrandma
11-07-2004, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is the stupidest idea i have ever heard maybe instead of wasting your time with bullshit like this you should try something like going to class

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez. I was almost positive that both were simultaneously possible.

daveymck
11-08-2004, 07:34 AM
MOst UK universities have Poker Societies, not sure they get any money off the Ubni itself, but they use it as an introduction to the game and have cheap tournies as well as some national student ones.

Might be able to do some searching to find whats in their constitution.

Biggest one as I understand it is St Andrews, but Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial college all have societies as well.

I know imperial are approaching sponsers to give lessons etc and supply cards etc with thier logo on.