PDA

View Full Version : Flopped 2-pair on a stretched board, early in a tournament.

Borodog
11-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Assume it is early in a NLHE tournament, you flop two pair on a board that stretches. What's your play?

Normally I will play this hand fast, not wanting to give a free card. I'd bet about the size of the pot.

Assume that you get called on the flop (assuming you bet out), and a blank (non-stretching card) comes on the turn, you bet out, and get raised or check-raised big. Now what's your play? Is two pair a hand to take a stand with, or release?

Normally I will push all-in in this situation, thinking that if my opponent flopped a set or a straight, there's no way that I'm going to get away from the hand, and it is more likely that he probably has an overpair, top pair/top kicker, or a draw. But is this correct? Should I give up two-pair to a big raise on a stretched board from an unknown player?

I've lost 4 tournaments with flopped two-pair vs. flopped straights. Even when I've correctly put my opponent on the big draw, that draw has then come through in other cases (flush and straight draws on a coordinated 2 suited board). Am I over-playing two-pair, or is that just the breaks?

Thanks.

Benholio
11-07-2004, 09:11 PM
In low buy-in events, I'm not going to be able to get away from 2-pair unless the board hits a 4-straight or 4-flush and I'm not already pot committed, or there is some serious action (multiple opponents). I play this hand exactly how you described, and call the raise on the turn and hope for the best.