PDA

View Full Version : 3 players Left... Top 2 Pays Big

toss
11-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Hero (t1290)
Villain (t1441)
Button (t1919)

I have K/images/graemlins/club.gif10/images/graemlins/spade.gif on Small Blind. Button folds. I rasie it to 400. Villain on Big Blind raises all in. I reluctantly call. Good? Bad? Should I have fold and try to fold it out?

rjb03
11-07-2004, 04:43 PM
What size were the blinds?

erfinator
11-07-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm guessing the blinds were 100/200? In that situation, if you're willing to call an all-in there, then you have to be the one doing the pushing and putting the decision to your opponent. I think folding or calling once he moves in depends on your read of your opponent. Would he be doing that with a pocket pair or AK only? Ax? If he seems fairly loose, then IMO you should call and hope he doesnt have you dominated with a high pocket pair or higher king.

Desdia72
11-07-2004, 06:28 PM
what were the blind levels? what type of player is the Villian?

even with those questions answered, i don't like a preflop raise with K 10o. when you're facing a reraise all-in, i think that should tell you why in most instances you're behind and why aggressively raising with this offsuit hand can be a killer. then again, people who comment on all-in calls preflop based on pot odds by hands played by Gus Hansen and Greg Raymer with dominated hands may say different. the impression i seem to get is that because you're able to put players on a range of hands (despite your holding already being dominated), then the play is correct.

toss
11-07-2004, 09:56 PM
The blinds were 100/200. I figured since the third guy folded I could try and steal from the small blind. I was thinking that the villain thought that I was trying to steal with rags.

In hindsight I now know I pushed too hard. His 99 held up unimproved.

Phill S
11-07-2004, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The blinds were 100/200. I figured since the third guy folded I could try and steal from the small blind. I was thinking that the villain thought that I was trying to steal with rags.

In hindsight I now know I pushed too hard. His 99 held up unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

as stated, just push. even with the top two paying big (i love it when a post gets specific like this), you just take the chance he has junk. if not you probably need to spike to win, so its a 40% chance most likely. or as this case its 50/50.

what i would say is that if you were willing to call an all in at any point in the game, if the blinds justify it (old 10*BB rule) then just push yourself.

i dont think the call was poor (but im not 100% on it) however you had to make it.

what is interesting is your thought processes of how the hand went.

you miniraised to steal.
he raised all in because, in your mind you looked like you did it with nothing.
therefor you trusted your instincts with that thought and called expecting to see a re-steal.

Phill

willperkins
11-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Push preflop. You have better than average hand. Normal raise would have been 3 X BB which would have been more than 40% of your stack so you need to push and put the pressure on him. Unfortunately for you, he had 99, but your still only a 56% to 44% dog, so you still had a good chance to double up.