PDA

View Full Version : Plan for the turn?

Jaran
11-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Table is playing ubertight. Please don't talk about table selection, because I know /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Villian in this hand has only been at the table but two hands, so I don't have any read on him at all. What is your plan for the turn. I'm not going to post my thoughts because I am interested on others opinions. Thanks in advance.

-Jaran

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero raises, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero...

nyc999
11-07-2004, 03:35 PM
bets

ig0r
11-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Pot looks too small for fancy play, I'd show down as cheaply as possible

JDErickson
11-07-2004, 03:38 PM
bet, fold to a CR

anyjack
11-07-2004, 03:39 PM
I like betting on that scary card (flush/slight chance of str8) heads-up and see his reaction. If you get to the river without a reraise, he might often check the river. Bottom line I like your position with this one and the fact that you're heads up atm.

Shillx
11-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Pot is small. I bet here and fold to a checkraise vs. an unknown in a pot this size.

The Shill

Entity
11-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Hey Jaran,

I'm with the others on betting this and folding to a checkraise.

Rob

btspider
11-07-2004, 04:24 PM
bet and fold to a raise.

so, what everyone else said..

Jaran
11-07-2004, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero raises, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

bets, knowing he's going to be c/r, which, as expected, comes. Now here's where hero had brain lock. As many responded, the pot is small and this is a pretty easy fold, but I called down, and was shown A6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the turned nut flush. After the hand, I was wondering about checking through the turn here. If I'm ahead, I'm giving up a little value if he'll call. If I'm behind, I can call down on the river for the same price as betting and folding to a c/r. Also, if I'm ahead, there's a chance he'll bluff at the river. Thoughts?

-Jaran

SCfuji
11-07-2004, 09:36 PM
all,

i am very weak when it comes to folding hands like this when i am check raised. why is it that you all fold to a checkraise here when the 3rd flush card comes out (assuming villain is unknown)?

thanks,
fuji

Entity
11-07-2004, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all,

i am very weak when it comes to folding hands like this when i am check raised. why is it that you all fold to a checkraise here when the 3rd flush card comes out (assuming villain is unknown)?

thanks,
fuji

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot is small, so you don't have a lot of margin for error. If you get checkraised on the turn you'll get bet into on the river, which means you're spending 2 bets to win 10.75, so you'll have to be correct here more often than 20% of the time. I don't think you're being bluff-checkraised on the turn 20% of the time here.

Rob

Shillx
11-07-2004, 09:45 PM
1) The typical player is not fooling around here. Some might make this play with a naked ace, but this is rare. The way the hero played the hand, he very well could have a flush himself. You have to remember that.

2) The pot is small. If he is making a play here, more power to him. Just don't let him get away with this when the pot is big. The bigger the pot, the more you should pay this off.

The Shill

btspider
11-07-2004, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bets, knowing he's going to be c/r, which, as expected, comes. Now here's where hero had brain lock. As many responded, the pot is small and this is a pretty easy fold, but I called down, and was shown A6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the turned nut flush. After the hand, I was wondering about checking through the turn here. If I'm ahead, I'm giving up a little value if he'll call. If I'm behind, I can call down on the river for the same price as betting and folding to a c/r. Also, if I'm ahead, there's a chance he'll bluff at the river. Thoughts?

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

i think your hand is too vulnerable to give a free card here and you are quite likely to have the best hand given the action thus far. you cannot let 9x, 5x, gutshots, baby hearts, etc get a free card (Tx isn't too much of a concern w/ only 3 outs).

i think the best times to check are when you are uncertain who has the best hand, have a hand which is not too vulnerable, and you cannot fold to a check-raise.

[ QUOTE ]
bets, knowing he's going to be c/r

[/ QUOTE ]

let me bring special attention to this.. how the heck did you know? he bet the flop and called a raise. any pair could do this. are you still running bad?

SCfuji
11-07-2004, 09:58 PM
makes sense now, thank you.

Jaran
11-07-2004, 10:01 PM
I don't know how I knew. Pretty much out of my bad run. I know this will sound nuts, but very often I do know what my opponant has exactly. It's not hand reading, it just comes to me (of course, I'm sure I'm subconciously computing many factors and reaching a conclusion based on this). So when I say I knew he was going to c/r, it's because I did know. I can't explain it better than this: when he checked the turn, I thought, he has the nut flush and will c/r me, pretty crazy, huh.

-Jaran

Shillx
11-07-2004, 10:08 PM
I have this problem too because I can sense better then most when I do and don't have the best hand. What happens then is that you end up calling down to see if your instincts were actually right. It is bad because you pat yourself on the back for making the right read. I just have to learn to trust my instincts more.

The Shill

Kasumeat
11-07-2004, 10:56 PM
If he is simply called and a blank comes on the river, what would be the best play?

Chris Daddy Cool
11-07-2004, 11:04 PM
this seems pretty straightforward to me. bet.

i'm assuming there's more to this hand than you lead on. a read on your opponent would be nice. but it really doesn't matter who i'm up against, you'd be pretty hard pressed to have me not bet there.

the real question is.... what do you do if you get checkraised?

Chris Daddy Cool
11-07-2004, 11:05 PM
thats a bad thought process as there's many hands that your villian is willing to call down with, specifically a weaker ten, along with some middle pairs.

sthief09
11-07-2004, 11:22 PM
a guy open limps in MP and no one's suggesting raising preflop? my raising standards here are basically as wide as they are without a limper, minus suited connectors.

Shillx
11-08-2004, 12:00 AM
This is fairly easy. Bet if checked to and call if bet into. If he check-raises the river, I guess I would payoff without a read.

The Shill

Shillx
11-08-2004, 12:04 AM
I like raising even more if the table is playing really tight. If I get coldcalled or 3-bet, I can easily go into a shell.

The Shill

Entity
11-08-2004, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a guy open limps in MP and no one's suggesting raising preflop? my raising standards here are basically as wide as they are without a limper, minus suited connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm confused, sfer. Hero raised preflop.

Jaran
11-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Ummmmm...I did raise pf.

-Jaran