PDA

View Full Version : Party 3/6: Two different(!) JJ vs. a limp-reraise hands...

chesspain
11-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Hand 1: In this first hand, the table was down to seven players and had tightened up considerably, so I had planned to make this my last orbit. My opponent is a TAG with whom I'ld played at least 85 hands, so I assume he knew me to be likewise.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: chesspain is CO with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">chesspain caps</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, chesspain folds.

Hand 2: This is only my second hand at this table, and none of the key players are known to me. Note that the limp-reraiser is one of the MP posters.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: chesspain is SB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $3. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">chesspain 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Button calls, chesspain calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (22 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button folds.

Turn: (13 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (17 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, chesspain calls.

jtr
11-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Chesspain, it's not clear that my advice will be worth much to you after you saw my awful turn fold to a 3-bet in another post, but for what it's worth...

I would play hand 1 the same. Seems reasonable to bet and represent the ace against such a player, and reasonable to get out immediately when it becomes clear that they hold an ace.

In hand 2 I think you've done the right thing also. I am guessing that perhaps you're up against the kind of idiot that likes to slowplay AA or KK in a truly stupid fashion, saving their raise until the river. If that is indeed the case, there's not much that you can do about it. You need to keep betting with JJ for all the times the guy holds AK, etc., and then the river raise needs to be called because of the pot size, surely. Not sure where any other options are available.

So, do you feel worse now that I agree with your play?

spamuell
11-07-2004, 12:17 PM
I would have played both exactly the same way.

In hand 1, I think your cap means that he's much less likely to try to outplay you post flop and I think he's limp-reraising a number of hands against you here, including most pairs, big offsuit and suited cards.

Hand 2 seems standardness of standardness. Almost no one limp-caps from MP3 after a limp, a raise and two cold-callers with boss hands. Usually they have 87s or something.

EDITED TO ADD: Actually, I think check-raising the flop in hand 2 is the way to go.

chesspain
11-07-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 seems standardness of standardness. Almost no one limp-caps from MP3 after a limp, a raise and two cold-callers with boss hands. Usually they have 87s or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it not, I was actually questioning my river play. Does anyone except for Tommy A. not call the raise and coldcall, since the way MP1 comes flying in out of nowhere with the raise, it's difficult to believe I'm going to be good here even 5% of the time?

spamuell
11-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Does anyone except for Tommy A. not call the raise and coldcall, since the way MP1 comes flying in out of nowhere with the raise, it's difficult to believe I'm going to be good here even 5% of the time?

I have been shocked at the amount of river silliness I have seen recently. Call the raise.

chesspain
11-07-2004, 02:28 PM
In hand 2:

MP1 showed J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif for the OESFD that became a rivered str8.
MP3 (limp-reraising poster) showed A /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

and my hand was very NG.