PDA

View Full Version : Heads up No Limit, when you hit a hand

willie24
11-07-2004, 02:12 AM
game is $1 NL. heads up. i have been playing my opponent for about 15-20 min and he strikes me as a strong player, fairly TAG, and smart. i would say about 30% of hands have been raised preflop (him raising slightly more than me). very few hands have gone to a showdown for significant pots. Hero has $70. SB has $53.

hero posts big blind of $1 on the button. hero has 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB calls, hero checks.

flop comes J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (pot= $2)

SB checks. hero bets $3. SB calls.

turn: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif (pot= $7.75)

SB checks. Hero bets $19. SB calls

river: 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif (pot=$43.75)

SB bets $15. Hero raises allin. SB calls ($15 more)

final pot: $103

obviously i hit the jackpot on the turn. my question is: what do you think of the big overbet on the turn?

DBowling
11-07-2004, 02:40 AM
I like it, because it worked. Its gotta be player dependant, of course. Some players go crazy when its SBvsBB. They'll go to the felt with Top pair no kicker or a flush draw.
The only problem is if he has Jx, the ace might be a scare card for him. If he thinks it looks like youre stealing, he may come along anyway.
Im surprised he led out on the river, maybe a supression bet? Either way, it looks like he wants a showdown. Did he hold JT or Ax?

schwah
11-07-2004, 06:29 AM
he limped in preflop. is he the type of player that will always raise with an ace? if so, there are almost no hands that he can play against that overbet.

looks as if this time it works out, though.

LokiV
11-07-2004, 06:47 AM
Well he could be beaten by j/q but it would be the most extremely loose player that would call $19 in a what... $7 pot for a gutshot draw.

I think this big bet worked because your opponent A. had a big hand previously B. hit that ace really well or C. was just awful/tilting/ego wouldn't let him fold. I don't think these conditions exist enough when you hit a big hand that I'd constantly overbet the pot on them (just as I wouldn't underbet to keep someone in).

So which was it?

willie24
11-07-2004, 06:20 PM
my thinking was that if he had a pair lower than aces he would fold to any significant bet (for instance he might call for $4 but would fold to a pot sized bet on the river).

if he had aces up or something better, he would hopefully call or raise a big bet, knowing that i might be trying to steal the pot with such a huge overbet and no obvious draws completed by the ace.

also if he had a flush draw, of course i did not want to give him acceptable odds to draw.

i probably would not have made a bet this big if it had been a flush or a 1 hole card open ended straight i had hit, but i think that the draw i hit was somewhat hidden, which i hoped would cause him to doubt that i had what i was representing.

he mucked his cards. if i had to guess what he had i would say aces up.