PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 Pair With a Scare Card

_Kevin_
11-06-2004, 11:46 PM
I had only played 12 hands against villian. He was in about 40% of pots and shown no aggression on any hand. Anyone play this any different (not reraise the turn or put in another river bet)?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (19.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB

A_C_Slater
11-06-2004, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't 3 bet the turn here. A raise on the turn usually indicates a monster holding. I would fear the worst and just call, then check call the river.

If you've only played 12 hands then you don't really know anything about your opponent yet. Some players will only raise the nuts on the turn with a board like this one.

topspin
11-07-2004, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't 3 bet the turn here. A raise on the turn usually indicates a monster holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? If I were MP3 and had QJ, I'd have happily raised our hero...

A_C_Slater
11-07-2004, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't 3 bet the turn here. A raise on the turn usually indicates a monster holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? If I were MP3 and had QJ, I'd have happily raised our hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I understand that.

But he's only 12 hands in.

It's best to play a bit more conservativly with no information about playing styles yet. If he does have QJ you can still be happy flipping over higher two pair and taking down the pot.

It's better to give your opponents some credit until they prove otherwise.

JDErickson
11-07-2004, 12:15 AM
I think you played it correct. Yes he may have a set, but more of the time he will have 2 pair.

Piiop
11-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Well played, pretty standard.

Harv72b
11-07-2004, 01:08 AM
I'd be more worried about a guy playing 40% of his hands being in with a KT, and hitting the nut straight with that turn card.

Agreed, though...I don't see anything wrong with the way you played it.