PDA

View Full Version : Movin on Up, a few hands

jrobb83
11-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Made the move to 10/20 a few days ago, things have been going pretty well. It is indeed more aggressive, and I have witnessed such crazy, freaky plays as capping the turn on a pure bluff, and bluff raising the river in a ginormous pot against 3 opponents. It is tough starting out without a solid base of player notes because a key part of dealing with the aggression is figuring out who is raising because they feel like it vs actually has a hand. Here is a few hands I had some trouble with.

Hand 1

No reads

Six handed, I have KJo in the bb. UTG limps, folded around to sb who raises. I call, UTG calls.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, UTG calls, sb raises, I 3-bet, UTG calls, sb caps and we both call.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif [8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif]

sb bets, I call?, UTG calls

River was a blank, sb bets and we both call.

Hand 2

BB is quite loose and semi-aggressive. No read on button.

I have black kings UTG and raise, button cold calls, BB calls.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, I bet, button raises, BB calls, I call.

Turn: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif [3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

BB checks, I check, button checks.

River: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif [8/images/graemlins/heart.gif]

BB checks, I bet, button folds, BB calls.

Hand 3

UTG is LAG, and was getting no respect from the rest of the table. No read on MP.

UTG raises, MP calls, I 3-bet with T/images/graemlins/club.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif, folded to UTG who caps, MP calls, I call.

Flop(13.5 sbs): 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif

LAG bets, MP calls, I raise, LAG 3-bets, MP calls, I cap.

Turn(13 bbs): 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif [2/images/graemlins/club.gif]

LAG bets, MP calls, I raise, LAG 3-bets, MP calls, I call.

River(22 bbs): 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif [J/images/graemlins/club.gif]

LAG bets, MP raises, I call, LAG calls.

sin808
11-06-2004, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is tough starting out without a solid base of player notes because a key part of dealing with the aggression is figuring out who is raising because they feel like it vs actually has a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't attempt comments on the hands. But I have noticed some newer 1/2 SH players here recently in addition to myself, so I wanted to comment on this. Start collecting those stats now on the higher limits. When I don't play I usually have a couple of 5/10 and 10/20 tables opened up and feeding PT (I also do this for 1/2). This isn't really some sort of new revelation or uncommon or anything, but it's something that could use a reminder for us SH newbies. Reads seem to be even more important in SH and having a good history of the people you are playing against goes along way to helping gauge the type of player they are. I figure by doing this now by the time I get up to the higher limits I should have a reasonable sized db on my competition (hopefully anyway).

jrobb83
11-07-2004, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Start collecting those stats now on the higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good piece of advice, and something I wished I had done. With the new version of PT and the fact that Party skins auto download all the hh's even from observed tables, collecting data on any limit is as simple as making a few clicks and watching tv. You can even data mine while you play, just have a few skins going in the backround.

jrobb83
11-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Just wanted to push this up to get a few more views.

Mr. Graff
11-07-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Start collecting those stats now on the higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good piece of advice, and something I wished I had done. With the new version of PT and the fact that Party skins auto download all the hh's even from observed tables, collecting data on any limit is as simple as making a few clicks and watching tv. You can even data mine while you play, just have a few skins going in the backround.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you have more than one skin installed on your system? I seem to remember that when I tried installing the Empire software I couldn't because I already had Party installed.

jrobb83
11-07-2004, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Can you have more than one skin installed on your system? I seem to remember that when I tried installing the Empire software I couldn't because I already had Party installed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I currenlty have three skins at which I have live real money account on my system.

What you cannot do is start a new real money account at a skin from a computer that currently has other skins installed. For instance, when I signed up for Empire, I did so on a friends computer that had never had any Party skin software installed on it.

maxpowers21
11-07-2004, 04:55 PM
It makes me very uneasy when someone raises pf and then check raises the flop, a lot of the time they have something along the lines of a set. I wouldn't be suprised if SB had JJ, possible AJ even in an agro shorthanded game. Regardless, I would still play as you did. He may just be a jackass with AK AQ TT, 99, etc.. The turn is difficult because you have no idea if you are way ahead or way behind, and if you raise you may be 3 bet or if you call you are giving cheap odds for a Q or more likely an A to draw out on you.
I don't think I could make a turn raise here because SB has shown too much strength, there is too likely a chance that he will 3bet the turn or bet out the river. I would play as you did, but expect to be beat more often then not.

2. Looks fine. As long as you are prepared to fold to a river raise.

3. I would not call that river bet in hand 3. Mp raise is too likey to have a strong hand here even for the size the pot is offering you+ the chance that LAG picked up a ligitamate premium pair, JJ, QQ, KK, AA. Your getting 11-1, but MP is raisning LAG on the river with no cards to come after LAG capped every round and 3 bet the turn and bet out. Even aggro players wouldnt bluff in the spot, at least not enough to call 13-1ish IMO. Wouldn't suprise me at all if MP had T9 or backdoored a flush here a good % of the time. I say fold the river, but IMO i suck at poker anyways so i could be wrong /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Danenania
11-07-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm a 5/10 player thus far, not 10/20, so there's my disclaimer.

Hand 1 I don't 3-bet the flop. Usually just call down after the scary checkraise without a read. Against some players I could fold the turn.

Hand 2 I like to bet the turn and fold to a raise against a lot of players. Were you planning on folding to a turn bet or calling down?

Hand 3 I fold the river without a read on MP. I can't see a raise being less than a J often enough to call here.