PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a mistake calling with AK

jokerthief
11-06-2004, 09:25 PM
I'm playing in a two table sng at Pacific and am the chip leader with 5300, there are 9 players left. Preflop there are two limpers who call for 200 I'm in mp with AK and raise to 1000, pot size is now 1700. Everyone folds to the second limper who goes all in and I am facing a 1700 call. I have no reads on the raiser because we had just gone down to one table and all I've seen him do is fold pre-flop. I feel my table image is overly aggressive because I just knocked someone out with pocket 3's when they went all in on a QQ9 flop. The reason I called was because I had a lock read that he had AK and was right. I can't help but think that I made a mistake here though. I think that the average opponent would only make this play with AA-QQ. Looks like I'm either dominated or it's a coin flip. On the other hand I think that there is a reasonable chance this is a steal with KQ or even KJ (I have seen this way too much at Pacific). I have never been able to lay down AK preflop. Is this a bad call or was my call ok? Turns out he had KK and I lost the pot and went down to 3rd largest chip stack.

Thanks for any input
jokerthief

willperkins
11-06-2004, 09:57 PM
You showed agression and he came right back over the top of you. If your read is correct you are about a 90% to 10% dog to AA, 70% to 30% to KK and a coin flip to QQ.

You are going to have to bet t1700 to win t3400. To me it is an easy fold. Unless I felt very sure he was on a steal, I would lay it down and look for a better spot. After all, I still have plenty of chips.

adanthar
11-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Raising to 1K with AK here is a little much, since you're practically pot committed to any smaller stack if you're called unless you want to check/fold a bad flop. I would raise to 600 and go from there.

Having said that, this is very opponent and site-dependent. I'd easily call with no read on Party but have no clue about Pacific.

stripsqueez
11-07-2004, 01:42 AM
its T1700 to win T5100 - as the leader you can afford to take some marginal positions so i think call is auto - it certainly looks like you might see AA or KK and there are a few guys i play against where i could fold to the raise but not against any player i dont have a good read for

if you were going to fold to a big reraise then you shouldnt of raised so much although i've been known to just push first time in such a spot

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Unarmed
11-07-2004, 01:45 AM
Strip, are you in agreement with Adanthar on the raise size of 600 w/ 2 limpers PF in this case? (Ignoring the push option, which would have been my play)

stripsqueez
11-07-2004, 02:14 AM
if i'm not allowed to just push then i would look at the stack sizes who called before me and decide what i was going to do from there - raising to T500 or so if you plan to fold to a push from a big stack seems reasonable

i mini raised 2 limpers with JJ (the blinds at 50/100) last week and folded to the push from the notorious "open limp with AA or KK" guy - i think a mini raise in this spot is usually pretty dumb - its about the only comparable position i can think of

stripsqueez - chickenhawk