PDA

View Full Version : 2 hands to review

Dragecq
11-06-2004, 08:28 PM
first post on this great forum. Would like to hear some comments on these two hands.

hand 1:

reads: no info on CO, it's his first hand; button is a callstation.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

hand 2:

no reads

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 folds, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

thx to bisonbison for the hand converter

Peter Harris
11-06-2004, 08:32 PM
you really have to call the river on hand 1. do you honestly believe CO had 2 diamonds? if they had the A, so be it. they lost bets, not you.

hand 2, you played the flop good, and heads up i'll bet the turn. check-calling the river should be to induce a bet here. you have to weigh up the odds of the opponent folding to your bet/calling with a weaker hand vs you check-calling and catching opponent betting a weaker hand than yours (see theory of poker, somewhere round pp211-214 for more discussion).

I think i play hand 2 like you and call the river.
Hand 1 i definitely call that river, the pot is too big to fold.

Regards,
Pete Harris

Dragecq
11-06-2004, 11:40 PM
indeed, i should have called the river in hand 1, very bad fold.
isn't checking and eventually calling a better option on the river?
CO who probably took a shot at the pot on the flop is likely to do it again on the river as i'm advertising i don't have the ace and there's a bigger chance callstation will call that bet.
Or is that line too passive against the average passive but call-happy opponent?

had exactly the same way of thinking as you in hand 1.

thx for the answer