PDA

View Full Version : Andre Rison benched in CFL

River2Pair
11-06-2004, 06:54 PM
from www.jimrome.com (http://www.jimrome.com) :

It looks like Brock Middlebrook, errr, Spiderman, errrr, Andre Rison is at the end of the line.

Rison, who has had all sorts of problems here in the US, is currently in Canada playing for the Toronto Argonauts. Or more accurately, not playing for the Argos. Rison has been on the team filling in for injured receivers Tony Miles, and former USC star R-Jay Soward. Both of them are coming back from injury, and will be available when the Argos hook up against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the East Division Semi-Final game.

Rison says that he is not pleased at being told he won't play, but that he won't be a distraction to the team. "I haven't slept since I was told that I wasn't going to be dressing, but the game is bigger than I am. I don't want to make a big hoopla of it and that's why no one ever heard anything during the week. It's almost like a Michael Jordan situation where he's sitting on the sideline and the game is at a critical point and he knows he can go in there and make a basket. But he gives them an opportunity to come up and make the play and doesn't check himself into the game. So that's the way I'm looking at it. But it's hard to sleep at night."

Spidey. That might be one of the funniest things I have heard from an athlete in quite some time. You are looking at your benching from a CFL team in favor of RJ Soward as a "Michael Jordan-esque" moment. First off all, Jordan was never benched in playoff games. Secondly, even if he was, he wouldn't have "not checked in" to give his teammates a chance to make a play. Where do you get this stuff, Brock? It is quality entertainment. And apparently since moving to Canada, he has become quite the comedian. At his press conference when he joined the team in August, he proclaimed himself the greatest wide receiver in history.

Of course you are, Spidey. Much better than Jerry Rice. Much better. That must be why you exploded for 14 catches and 1 TD this season in the CFL. That must be why they are benching you for RJ Soward, a guy who couldn't even stick in the NFL. Yeah, the greatest of all time. You might be the greatest receiver of all time who had his house burned down by his girlfriend, but that's about it. It's over Andre. Time to hang up the cleats, and hit the stand-up circuit full time.