about 5 limpers

flop has no low draw

if you flop 2 pair in 08 but the flop is all one suit

BB comes out betting

are there any circumstances in which you would call a bet if you have

flopped top and bottom pair from the button

s

02-13-2002, 12:52 PM
If everyone calls and your call would close the betting you are getting the odds to call for your four outer.

Typically a set would raise here despite the flush flop so the fact that you are top and bottom rather than top two makes it a little more likely that you would win if you hit.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

02-13-2002, 03:20 PM
You are 11 to 1 dog to make your boat after the flop (which may not even be the best boat since there are still 5 in the pot). If you are last to act and even if everybody who was in preflop contributes, your flop bet would be getting 9 to 1. IMO, you fold.

02-13-2002, 05:02 PM
"You are 11 to 1 dog to make your boat after the flop (which may not even be the best boat since there are still 5 in the pot)."

Bob - I interpreted what Scott wrote to mean there were about five limpers *before* the flop. If that interpretation is correct, there may not be five still in the pot after BB bets.

"If you are last to act and even if everybody who was in preflop contributes, your flop bet would be getting 9 to 1."

This is a small point and doesn't matter for the sake of subsequent arguments because your four outs are not to the stone-cold nuts anyway. However, 6 pre-flop bets + 5 post flop bets (not counting your own) makes 11 bets. I think you're getting 11 to 1 for this call if all the pre-flop limpers also limp after the flop.

"IMO, you fold."

If the scenario is as you have pictured it, with all pre-flop limpers calling the BB's bet on the flop, I agree with you.

However, there may be more here, if you will allow the scenario to be a bit different. Suppose you are on the button, BB bets, the intervening players all fold and, in addition to the flopped top and bottom pairs, you hold the ace of the flush suit. Do you see the opportunity against some decent BB opponents?

Buzz

02-13-2002, 05:38 PM
You are probably correct Buzz. I interpreted when he wrote "5 limpers" that he meant there were 5 players in to see the flop (for 5sb) plus 4 more small bets after the flop, assuming everyone calls the BB, for a total of 9.

I've been operating under the assumption that when the BB does not raise, he/she has also "limped". AAAIIIEE, all this poker lingo is harder to keep straight than computer networking jargon. ;-)

"However, there may be more here, if you will allow the scenario to be a bit different. Suppose you are on the button, BB bets, the intervening players all fold and, in addition to the flopped top and bottom pairs, you hold the ace of the flush suit. Do you see the opportunity against some decent BB opponents? "

Very true, good point, IF (the big 'if') they were decent, what you are suggesting might be an option.

02-19-2002, 02:12 PM
I would fold unless heads up and in a situation similar to the one Buzz described.

You are not getting adequate odds and you can lose even if you hit your draw.

If there isn't even a backdoor draw for low,

then all three suited cards on the flop are in the K through 9 range permitting someone to have flopped a straight flush. So you may even be drawing dead.