PDA

View Full Version : KJo a limping or raising PF hand?

Xiphoid
11-06-2004, 05:58 PM
KJs is a sure raise; however, I've heard and read varying ways to play KJo pre-flop. I'm often torn between raising, limping and even folding this hand in an un-raised field.

SSH says to limp with KJo, but I don't understand why. As SSH states, hands like these "play best in an unraised pot against a few, loose opponents" (this description also includes little broadway like QTo, KTo, etc., but these aren't included in my starting hands for obvious reasons). So wouldn't you want to raise KJo to not allow the people behind and the blinds to get in for one bet or free?

Also, if you get KJo UTG, is this an automatic raise or muck for you?

Thanks. This is one of my most frequent hands I see and I'd really like some input on how better to play it. I'd rather raise or fold it over just limping.

mrpurple
11-06-2004, 06:05 PM
This is one of those depends kind of situations for me. If I'm in late position I'm going to pop it. Especially if it will get me the button. I'm probably ahead and it makes stealing it a heck of a lot easier later on. Early or middle position I'd rather limp. I'd rather play this for one bet or two then have to play for three if it gets bumped. Out of position I still like the hand. But I like it cheap.

River2Pair
11-06-2004, 06:06 PM
It depends. I usually dump it in EP in an aggressive game.
I never cold-call with it.
I'll raise in position sometimes against weak limpers.

The other factor is whether or not I'm tilting at the moment.

Tosh
11-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Well if several players have entered the pot for 1 bet, all your raise would do is make a big pot, it wouldn't get anyone out. KJo is not much of a hand in many situations and I often muck it.

UTG, KJo is a muck.

Piiop
11-06-2004, 06:12 PM
KJo is an muck 100% of the time UTG.

Usually I fold KJo, but there are situations where I will raise it. I rarely limp with it. I'll openraise in LMP and back and sometimes raise 1 or 2 weak limpers with it.