PDA

View Full Version : 3/6 O/8: Fold top full to a raise?

02-12-2002, 03:50 AM
3/6, Omaha/8 at Hollywood Park.

I'm in the Big Blind (there's only one blind at HPC) with TJ8x. Four limpers, I check:

Flop: Th Jh 8h

I don't particularly like this flop, so I check, next person bets, fold, fold, call, I call (big mistake?) hoping for the board to pair:

Turn: Th Jh 8h Js

Yay! I check, planning for a check raise. Next guy checks (darn), button bets (yay!). I check raise, next guy folds, button 3-bets (boo!).

Now, at this point, can I just assume the button has a straight flush? He, like the rest of the whole table, have been limping in with damn near anything under the sun. I'm new to Omaha, so I'm not exactly sure. What could he possibly 3-bet me on a check-raise with? 8's full? No. 10's full? No. Ace high flush? No... What should I do? Results later.

02-12-2002, 06:35 AM
Cap it. My guess is another lower boat most likely 8s or 10s. If I get beat by an occurance that happens once every 3,224 hands (straight flush) well so be it, but otherwise I'm capping the sucker.

Of course tonight I was headsup (after raising preflop) in an O/8 game with AA35 and the flop comes A22. J on turn, A on river and all streets capped. It goes without saying that the other player had 22.

So what did he have, Q9d?

02-12-2002, 06:38 AM
"Now, at this point, can I just assume the button has a straight flush?"

Nope. Not in the 3-6 game at HPC!

"What could he possibly 3-bet me on a check-raise with? 8's full? No. 10's full? No. Ace high flush? No... What should I do?"

Sooga - I think you should have check/folded to the bet on the flop. Your top two pair is obviously not going to win for high and you have only six outs to make a boat which, because of the distinct straight flush possibility, will not be the nuts.

However, if you're going to play this hand hoping to make a full house, then when you do make your full house I think you should play the hand.

I think you generally do better by betting in a straightforward manner rather than going for check-raises. Thus, IMHO, you should bet the turn.

Does the person three-betting the turn have a straight flush? Hard to say without knowing who we're talking about. There are players in that game who think they have a great hand when they don't. There are players in that game who, if they suspect *you* do not have the straight flush will bet and raise as though *they* have it, evidently hoping to bluff you out of the pot.

Unless you know better, I think you're stuck for two more bets just in case the person betting is putting a move on you, a distinct possibility at HPC.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

02-12-2002, 11:32 AM
I would have folded on the flop. Your draw is not to the nuts.

After you are reraised on the turn I think you need to call him down. There is 8.5 BB in the pot at this point. If you are seriously afraid of the straight flush, I would call his resraise and check and call on the river.

But in a low limit game I would be more likely to cap it on the turn. Since you have not shown aggression until your check raise he might think you are making a play at the pot and decided to come over the top with less than the nuts.

02-12-2002, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Like I said, I'm new to Omaha, so I wasn't sure of the call on the flop, which apparently wasn't the right thing to do. I'll put that little nugget of knowledge into my back pocket for future sessions. As to the hand, I called the turn, check/called the river and of course got shown 7h9h for the straight flushy flush. I then proceeded to piss away the rest of my rack. At least I got a comped dinner out of it! /images/smile.gif

02-12-2002, 03:22 PM
I would have lost more money than you, because I would have caped the turn and maybe even raised the river.

But my question is how do you get a comped dinner at 3-6, esp. at HP? Am I a fool to pay for my dinner?

02-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Comps at HPC are the easiest to get. Just sign up for a player's card, and there are people with scanners that come by every half hour or so. Just put your card there for them to scan, and you get I think like $.30 or something (for 3/6) everytime you get scanned. You can get enough for a meal and a drink pretty quickly! I decided to see how much comp money I had a few weeks ago and I had like $15! And I hardly play! So yea, you are a fool for paying for your own meals /images/wink.gif

02-12-2002, 06:17 PM
the hand I would expect to see would be another JT with two overcards. The straight flush is also possible. I would go into a check and call mode.