PDA

View Full Version : AK suited - a somewhat different line.

nepenthe
11-06-2004, 06:37 AM
No specific read on opponent here. He had less than 9BBs left at the time.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: nepenthe is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, nepenthe calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
nepenthe checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, nepenthe calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
nepenthe checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, nepenthe calls.

River: (12.66 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">nepenthe bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe 3-bets</font>, Button calls $2.75 (All-In).

Final Pot: 18.12 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17.58 BB, between nepenthe and Button.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 0.54 BB, returned to nepenthe.</font>

Deduce my reasoning please.

AdamL
11-06-2004, 07:25 AM
I'm not very good at this stuff, but here is my guess:

On the flop you don't cap because you want to checkraise the turn...? On the turn you don't cap because you fear KK or TT has a set. On the river you know he pretty much needs KK to beat you, since TT is now unlikely.

I don't think he's stacking off here.

xxxxx
11-06-2004, 03:00 PM
You can't get more of his money in the pot. It's all there. Now all you have to do is beat him. Does he have pocket aces?

gamblore99
11-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Not such a fan. When he 3bet me I think He has a pocket pair of 9's or greater, or Ak. maybe some other hands?

On a flop like this if he doesnt have an ace, your check raise will probably make him fold the turn if you lead out, but if you check the turn to him after your check-raise hell just check it down, if you check the turn u will definitely get a bet on the river most likely.

My preferred line here without a read is to check/call flop and turn then bet the river. Sometimes in situations like this ill miss a bunch of bets, but i think the majority of times im gonna squeeze out an extra bet or 2.

I hope that made sense
Gamblore

nepenthe
11-06-2004, 08:12 PM
I don't know, I don't see the typical 3/6 player folding a lower PP too often in these situations, especially HU.

I put opponent on the high end of a PP or a big ace after his 3-bet. Basically I 3-bet the river because I was afraid of TT up until the turn, and then decided not to give him credit for AA, AT or quads. KK isn't consistent with the way he played, but who knows?

Anyhow, the guy had AQo and was indeed stacking off.

spamuell
11-06-2004, 08:31 PM
I don't know, I don't see the typical 3/6 player folding a lower PP too often in these situations, especially HU.

How do you know what they're folding? Just because you see them calling with it sometimes doesn't mean they don't fold QQ on and AKx board or even an Axx board, as I suppose I can't really blame you for not knowing the turn was going to be a K. You may be right, I'm just asking how you know.

When I read the title of your post, I thought you were going to just limp pre-flop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Or is that reserved to AKo?

I think you should cap pre-flop, it gives you far more folding equity when you both end up missing.

nepenthe
11-06-2004, 08:45 PM
While I cannot see that which is folded into oblivion, I can see the hands that make it to showdown. Without being able to assign any ratio of semi-worthy hands correctly folded to semi-worthless hands incorrectly shown down throughout the spectrum of PP 3/6 players, I can nonetheless say I have seen more than sufficient examples of the latter such that it would not surprise meat all to see the typical/unknown opponent in question call down with 99 or worse in this situation.

As for limping pre-flop, you might have missed my "Every Once in a Blue Moon" thread.

chesspain
11-06-2004, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should cap pre-flop, it gives you far more folding equity when you both end up missing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please explain (or direct me to a suitable post) what is meant by "folding equity."

gamblore99
11-06-2004, 09:41 PM
can some experienced player please disect post flop.

spamuell
11-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Hiya,

[ QUOTE ]
Could you please explain (or direct me to a suitable post) what is meant by "folding equity."

[/ QUOTE ]

I could explain what I mean by it, but there's this very informative looking thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1087504&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;vc=1), although I haven't read it because I think I know what folding equity is. If it's unclear from that thread, let me know because it means I'm using the wrong term and I'll explain what I mean.