PDA

View Full Version : Feeling clueless

Tosh
11-06-2004, 05:32 AM
No reads. I kind of see no reason to continue from here, whats everyones line?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>

Chairman Wood
11-06-2004, 06:29 AM
If it's checked to me, I close my eyes and bet. I don't see how anyone could continue this hand with something that you beat and I think it is somewhat likely that no-one got any piece of this. Bet once and give up. I'm drunk and heartbroken (election not women) so even with 5 people I see that you could take it down right here more than 1 out of 11 times.

Danenania
11-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Probably bet and fold to a raise on the flop. It would be worse for you if there were more coldcallers. Here MP is the only true one. I think there's a good enough chance that no one has an A or Q that you should bet. If called, you'll have to rethink you strategy based on reads and things. You could either check/fold the turn against a tight player or value bet a loose player.

TripleH68
11-06-2004, 10:45 AM
I had a dead similar situation to this yesterday. Bet the flop and got one call. Tried my best to imagine a weak ace and bet the turn...he folded. Not sure if it was a good play, but I was folding to any raise and checking the river.

TripleH68
11-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Okay, not dead similar. I had position.

StellarWind
11-06-2004, 11:15 AM
It's going to be hard to win this even if you have the best hand.

I would bet the flop on the theory that 1/11 of the time:

A) All four opponents will fold or
B) The one or two cards this usually buys me will spike a king.

stigmata
11-06-2004, 11:50 AM
I would bet the flop also, as the chances everybody folds is reasonable.

Problem occurs when known bluffer raises. If there are cold-callers, should probably fold. If heads-up with bluffer, thats a toughy....

Anyonone else who raises probably has the Ace, and anyone calling your bets either have a passively played ace or are slowplaying the queen. If you are called, I would check/fold turn.

Joe Tall
11-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Bet, sometimes they will fold at least ~9% of the time and then your turn check can often look real fishy and buy you a free card. You can also easily fold to a raise.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Little Fishy
11-06-2004, 02:03 PM
that sucks man, some one in front of you is probably going to open. this makes it tough,if there's a raise or reraise before it comes to me then i'm going to fold. if it's only a single bet then i'll probably raise it myself. in situations like this either raising or folding is most often the correct move, and calling is almost always the worst. if no one bets, then I would probably open on the flop, in a typical game like this you might come up against players coming in with Ax, if this is the case, and you don't get raises you might be able to force them out on later streets of because they fear a queen. if you get raised, especialy if there are callers you should probably get out.

Tosh
11-06-2004, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet, sometimes they will fold at least ~9% of the time and then your turn check can often look real fishy and buy you a free card. You can also easily fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally people want me to bet, so I'll ask 3 further questions..

1) Does the fact that even against 4 opponents, the field still doesn't have many outs against me collectively when I'm ahead, make you more inclined to check and see if anyone bets.
2) How many people have to take this flop for you to just check/give it up.
3) Say the action is bet and x players call. The turn is a brick and its checked to you again. How many does x need to be to bet again.

Freddy
11-06-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would bet the flop on the theory that 1/11 of the time:

A) All four opponents will fold or
B) The one or two cards this usually buys me will spike a king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone explain to a noob what the math/theory behind 1/11 times means above. I apoligize to the original poster. Don't mean to take the thread off course. I have been reading through old threads and sometimes I have no idea where the numbers you guys referance come from.

Tosh
11-06-2004, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Can someone explain to a noob what the math/theory behind 1/11 times means above. I apoligize to the original poster. Don't mean to take the thread off course. I have been reading through old threads and sometimes I have no idea where the numbers you guys referance come from.

[/ QUOTE ]

What it means is that with 11 small bets in the pot, if everyone folds 1 time in 11, betting has to be profitable (technically if my pot equity is 0% it would be break even).

arkady
11-06-2004, 03:04 PM
You seldom feel comfortable check/calling on this kind of board do you? You are almost forced to be the aggressor and back down to raises.

Only thing to note is that the number of times JJ/TT/99 continues to bet here is far less than that of some Ax or Qx. Typically the underpairs check/call themselves.

Tosh
11-06-2004, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You seldom feel comfortable check/calling on this kind of board do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I check, its doubtful its with the intention of calling.

arkady
11-06-2004, 03:31 PM
exactly....go to showdown with out getting 3 bet.

Tosh
11-06-2004, 03:37 PM
I don't think its a board that I can relentessly fire at just because I haven't been raised though. Often I think I might bet it, be called in several places, and check fold.