View Full Version : Sjthief09 lures MG out of the house for a day of poker...

Mike Gallo
11-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Due to lifes responsibities my playing has gotten cut down to a Sunday tournament at the Trop. I play the no limit tournament and then either leave or play a ring game.

Last Friday I get a pm from Josh ( real name, I have a hard time calling someone SJthief) asking about the Trop this weekend. We exchange phones calls and we made plans to meet up Sunday morning.

Josh got their at 1:30 am and planned on playing straight through until his friends with the rooms arrived. I told him I would get their between 6 and 9. I slept in and arrived at 9:00 am. I spot Josh right away playing in the infamous "pink chip" game. The "pink chip" game hardly goes any more. $6-$12 has replaced it.

I registered for the tournament and then we went to "Corky's" for breakfast. I offered Josh the keys to my car if he wanted to take a nap until the cavalry arrived, however he said he had caffeine pills. Josh perhaps the lack of sleep causes you to misread the board? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

We had a light conversation and I pointed out the finer things that Atlantic City has to offer. I recommended several off the beaten path types of places.

After breakfast I had an hour to kill until the tournament started and I sat in 1 $4-$8 game for an hour. I picked up $60 and went to my tournament seat.

I busted out at 2:30. I had the best of it on the flop when I got all my money in, however Hold em is a 7 card game.

I found Josh and we returned to Corky's for lunch. Corkey's has an excellent pulled pork sandwhich with sweet potato fries. We had a lively waitress so we had an enjoyable lunch with a lot of laughs.

Before we went to lunch I must have come across a dozen or so regulars who I have not seen in the last six months. I teased Josh at lunch that I think everyone of them assumed the worst. He asked me about knowing a lot of people, I explained to him thats what happens when you spend 30 hours a week in the same spot week after week.

Prior to lunch I told Josh I did not feel like playing in a ring game, however after lunch I felt a bit rejuvinated. Josh and I decided to play in a $2-$4 game.

When we first got to the table Josh sat in the 9 seat and I sat in the 7 seat. I had a regular nit to my immediate left. She chastisted several players at the table obviously new to poker. She got mad at me because I brought four racks of white to the table. Whenever someone made a dubious play she would critique it and say, " I know poker. I know the stuff ESPN doesnt teach". She meant it to. Needless to say Josh and I had a running dialogue about her.

Josh moves to my immediate right, orders a double Jack Daniels and Coke and kicks back for some fun times.

++++ MG spikes a straight flush against a full house++++++

I limp UTG with JQ diamonds. Everyone sees the flop and the flop comes J 10 9 with the 9 of diamonds. I bet everyone calls a predictable olderly woman raises everyone calls as do I. The turn brings the 10 of diamonds for a board of
J /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet my open ended straight flush draw I get a few calls and the same lady raises I call everyone else folds. Josh tells me I need to hit the K or 8 of diamonds. I tell him I know this.

The river brings the K of trump. I bet and ask about a bad beat Jackpot. The lady raises and I auto reraised. Players in the 123 and 5 seat all were discussing the straight flush. I pretty much told the lady I had the straight flush after the fifth reraise. She turned over J 10 and yelled at the players in the 123 and 5 seat for discussing the hand.

I raised my small blind every time I got AK. I bet and raised with hands and I did not fail to value bet. Straight forward poker. I raised with AK flopped a King and won against a lady who played K4. Another time I had AK and bet every street and bet the river when I hit the King. A player called down with KJ and Josh asked if I would have value bet the river. I found that pretty comical, because I would have. We joked how "nobody can beat these games" and "AK is a drawing hand best played cheap."

All in all I enjoyed myself and had a good time. From playing with Josh I can say this, the man should spend more time sleeping /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

scrub
11-06-2004, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I found Josh and we returned to Corky's for lunch. Corkey's has an excellent pulled pork sandwhich with sweet potato fries. We had a lively waitress so we had an enjoyable lunch with a lot of laughs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Corky's is the only thing I still like about the Trop.

I like dry rub ribs to go with my sweet potato fries, though.

Too bad the pink game died--I was pretty sure it was on its last legs in May, but I hoped the summer might revive it.

scrub

Evan
11-06-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From playing with Josh I can say this, the man should spend more time sleeping

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea how true this is.

Mike Gallo
11-06-2004, 08:02 PM
You have no idea how true this is.

Oh I do, thats why I posted it.

Evan
11-06-2004, 09:59 PM
haha, ok.

we were playing here last night and josh was sitting next to me. about every other hand he'd coldcall a raise, flash me some offsuit 4 gapper and remark, "I'm so tired".