PDA

View Full Version : Hello Forum

NYGmen56
11-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Hello all,
Long time lurker that wants to get better here, just thought I'd introduce myself. I really want to learn how to play SH, and I have been reading the posts daily now for about two or three weeks, but I decided to start to interact with the crowd so to speak.

My bankroll is at 700 and I want to play 1/2SH on Empire until I hit 3500, at which point I'll switch to 5/10 and so on. Is there anyone else whose done this that would like to offer some encouragement???

Alright that's all I have for now, I'm sure I'll be posting soon.

P.S GMEN 56-Bears 0

sin808
11-05-2004, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to play 1/2SH on Empire until I hit 3500, at which point I'll switch to 5/10 and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been trying to decide the path for myself once my game is ready to move beyond 1/2. I'm not sure if jumping to 5/10 is the best move. It's 5x the $ amount, which would take some adjusting the the swings, and I'll go out on a limb and say the play is much better. My idea has been to move to 2/4 and then 3/6 playing a combination of full ring, and SH tables to play at before moving to 5/10.

I'd like to know what some of the others that have made the move up in SH think about what's a better plan.

Dark Force Rising
11-06-2004, 12:06 AM
If you have an adequate BR you should not be too worried about moving up assuming that you are confident in your skills.The competition is abyssmal at all levels.Do a search on El Diablo-a 6 max plan.It's good stuff.

joker122
11-06-2004, 05:28 AM
good luck. post and read here...you'll do great

naphand
11-06-2004, 05:32 AM
You will get very tired of playing $1/$2 long before you get to this bankroll, plus the Party $1/$2 school is terrible for learning. Certainly stay there to get your game solid and for the practice value, but I think you really need to play elewhere to not only develop more skill and experience, but also build your roll faster.

Dark Force is right in that there are poor players everywhere, but learning to adjust your style to the game you are in is very important. Some 5-handed tables would be good for playing a more aggressive style and adjusting to ferwer players, they are regularly 3 and 4 handed (Paradise has $1/$2 and 3/$6, and PokerRoom $1/$2, $2/$4, $3/$6 and $5/$10, UltimateBet also offer a good spread of games, and the games vary quite a lot in style). Paradise $3/$6 is a cut above the others from what I have heard. Poker Stars offer a good range of limits and some better players and is my preferred stopping off point to sharpen my game (they are still very beatable).

Last time I played Party $1/$2 the games seemed a touch more aggro and not quite so blindingly dumb, but you should avoid the big leap straight to $5/$10 IMO.

sin808
11-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Is this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=1081299 &Forum=,,,All_Forums,,,&Words=6%20max%20plan&Searc hpage=3&Limit=25&Main=1078549&Search=true&where=bo dysub&Name=122&daterange=1&newerval=6&newertype=m& olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=) the post to which you were referring? Or is there another?

spydog
11-06-2004, 06:32 AM
I played about 23k hands at 1/2 PP, then started to mix in 2/4 and 3/6 at tables that hadn't filled up.

Got my BR to 4k and headed off to 5/10. Lost 400 (not a lot) and realized I wasn't psychologically fit to play at that level. The swings were brutal, compared to 1/2. Plus, the play was much more aggressive.

So...I created an account at Poker Stars. Played 2/4, which was more aggressive than 1/2 at Party. After a few thousand hands, moved up to 3/6. Play was slightly more aggressive than 2/4, but still easily beatable.

Got my roll to 6k+ and headed back to PP's 5/10 games. Very similar in play to the 3/6 game at Poker Stars.
Been at 5/10 Party for 12k hands and am considering adding a 10/20 table to my 3-tabling game.

The move from 1/2 to 5/10 was better taken in small steps, in my situation.

hacker59
11-06-2004, 10:40 AM
A well-reasoned plan, Spy. I'm at 15K hands at $1/2 Party and am getting ready to move on, but know I'm not ready for 5/10. Naphand is correct: There's a lot of bad poker at that level, but overall I have found it to be a good place to learn my short-handed chops. (Plus it's bankrolled an upcoming trip to Vegas.) Be patient, NYG, and don't let the inevitable (real) bad beats bother you. Realize that in the long run, their money will be yours. Good luck.