PDA

View Full Version : too weak?

brettbrettr
11-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls $0.75 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero folds,

The MP1 calling is actualy half a raise. I saw 2 raises in front of me, and decided not to get involved. Thing is, the first raise could easily be the "I hate my last 3 quarters" raise and the second could have easily been an underpair.

Your thoughts?

Demana
11-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Raise/cap it.

You will be heads up with MP2 and TT is a good hand.

Depends on the table texture though. Maybe calling will bring in the blinds and if you spike your set, you will get payed off better?

Myself, I still go with raising/capping to get it heads up and take control.

hagelito
11-05-2004, 10:48 PM
TT a good hand? Not that good in limit, what do you do when the flop has an J, Q, K or an A? You are pretty sure MP2 at least has one of them. What will you do when you get reraised on the flop if you bet to represent a J-A card? etc.

No, TT is most good for hitting a set in my mind or when you are the aggressor (meaning you are the preflop raiser and only you).

Demana
11-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Folding here just seems weak.

Why not call then hoping the blinds come along for the ride?

btw - By capping, you become the aggressor.

Goon2
11-05-2004, 11:04 PM
At the very least, call the raise. Ed says RE-raise.

I'd say that's weak.

Goon2
11-05-2004, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TT a good hand? Not that good in limit, what do you do when the flop has an J, Q, K or an A? You are pretty sure MP2 at least has one of them. What will you do when you get reraised on the flop if you bet to represent a J-A card? etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zoiks Scoob! Monsters! Aaaahh.

What happens if an A or K or Q or J comes? Well, you can fold.

Punting +EV hands is bad business.

hagelito
11-05-2004, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folding here just seems weak.

Why not call then hoping the blinds come along for the ride?

btw - By capping, you become the aggressor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes by capping he will be the aggressor, but the question still stands when one or more overcards hit on flop.

I still want to see a cheep flop, call or be the only preflop raiser. I like playing against players who overvalues their mid high pocketpairs - they give their money away.

Goon2
11-05-2004, 11:49 PM
You don't raise just to be the aggressor. You raise because you want to maximize your EV.

emonrad87
11-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Reraise this preflop and go from there. Ignore MP1... his "raise" is meaningless, as monst people will just dump their last little bit.

StellarWind
11-06-2004, 01:43 AM
Without a read that MP2 is aggressive preflop I fold.

You need to call 2.5 bets cold to play.

Forget about MP1. His raise means nothing and he's out of play. You have two opponents for much of the preflop money and all the implied odds on your set or other winning hand.

MP2's likely raising hands divide into two categories: overpairs that crush you and two overcards that have about even chances against you. Heads you die, tails we fight over it. Hmmm. That sucks. I don't want to fight MP2. Raising is completely out.

What about cold calling to draw for a set? I don't see the necessary implied odds with 2.5 bets to call and only two definite opponents.

You made the right decision. Don't sweat it.

brettbrettr
11-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Even gladder I didn't get involved. It got capped behind me. Hands that were oput:

KK and JJ. Oh, and Mr. Meaningless had AA. Timing, gentlemen, is everything. Thanks for the feedback.