PDA

View Full Version : Harrington on Hold 'em Announcement

Mason Malmuth
11-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi Everyone:

Just to make it official we are now taking orders for Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: Volume I, Strategic Play.

To see more information, go to our cover page and then scroll down.

We are expecting to have the book in hand in early December. But it could be a little later than that.

Best wishes,

Mason

dirty moose
11-05-2004, 11:15 PM
i forgot something, if i pay with pay pal now, do they charge the account now or when it ships?

imported_Chuck Weinstock
11-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Credit card orders are charged when we are ready to ship except in the case of a pre-announcement such as this we may process the card a few days early in order to be able to prepare for the mass shipment on day 1.

We do not "charge" PayPal or Neteller accounts. You send us the funds. You can do this whenever you like, but we won't ship until we receive payment (or when the book is published, whichever comes later.)

Chuck

Wyers
11-06-2004, 12:38 AM
... (Toronto to be specific). Does it make sense for me to order this online from the U.S. or should I wait for it to hit a local distributer (Chapters/Indigo most likely).

What are the experiences of other Canadians ordering 2+2 books from across the border?

Thanks,

Wyers

BigDoggie
11-06-2004, 01:22 AM
I would recommend ordering from the US as it seems to take almost a month after 2+2 books are released for Canadian distributors to get them. I have ordered from Conjelco before and have not had any problems receiving my order. Hope this helps...

Wyers
11-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Yeah BD, that helps. I wasn't worried about about problems receiving my order - I'm sure the boys are reputable. My concerns were about (or "aboot"... /images/graemlins/wink.gif) the hassles of cross border shopping.

Thanks for the info.

Wyers

imported_Chuck Weinstock
11-06-2004, 11:42 AM
At the moment we are having serious problems getting items delivered across the border. There is apparently a well known problem at Canadian customs with shipments from the US. I do not have the details.

I don't know how this will affect shipments to Chapters, etc. I can say for sure that we'll ship it to you sooner than they will, but I can't promise that you'll receive it sooner.

Hopefully by mid-to-late December this will be cleared up.

Chuck Weinstock

cab4656
11-07-2004, 11:52 AM
I ordred SSHE through Conjelco when it first came out, so I already have an account with their purchasing system. But when I choose the shipping address that I used last time, I get the error message:

Internal Error: Bad st ID: ,1.

I tried filling out the address form again (instead of using the one stored from last time) and I got this error message upon submitting:

You must have cookies enabled to continue ordering.

Which is silly, because I know I have cookies enabled. I also increased the amount of disk space allowed for cookies to see if that would help, but I still got the error message. Please help.

therockofgibraltar
11-07-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I ordred SSHE through Conjelco when it first came out, so I already have an account with their purchasing system. But when I choose the shipping address that I used last time, I get the error message:

Internal Error: Bad st ID: ,1.

I tried filling out the address form again (instead of using the one stored from last time) and I got this error message upon submitting:

You must have cookies enabled to continue ordering.

Which is silly, because I know I have cookies enabled. I also increased the amount of disk space allowed for cookies to see if that would help, but I still got the error message. Please help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you email to Conjelco? They might be able to help you.

cab4656
11-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Someone here may have had the same problem, know what to do, and that might allow me to get a faster response.

byronkincaid
11-07-2004, 12:39 PM
I had the cookie problem. I turned my cookie security level down from medium to none on XP then rebooted to get it to work.
Haven't had the email confirming the order though, hopefully because it's the weekend and I'll get it tomorrow.

jakethebake
11-07-2004, 12:46 PM
I had the same problem and used the same solution. I got my response immediately during the week though.
[ QUOTE ]
I had the cookie problem. I turned my cookie security level down from medium to none on XP then rebooted to get it to work.
Haven't had the email confirming the order though, hopefully because it's the weekend and I'll get it tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

cab4656
11-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks a bunch both of you. Worked great. Actually what I did (instead of turning down my security level) was to click the "Sites" button and specifically allow "http://www.conjelco.com." I figure this is a much less riskier way of doing it.

Can't wait until I get this book! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SlantNGo
11-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Mason,

Vol.1 is mainly about the early to middle stages of NL tournament play, correct? How applicable would the material be to an NL ring game?

KenNL
11-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Same here--turned the security setting on XP off and resolved the problem with ordering. I haven't received the confirming e-mail yet, though.

One thing I did note when ordering. The site was not using a secure server (ie, no "https" designation). Should I be worried having used my credit card?

Mason Malmuth
11-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi Slant:

It's very applicable since the early stages of a no limit tournament do play very similar to a no limit cash game since the amount of money that you have is large compared to the blinds.

Best wishes,
Mason

razor
11-08-2004, 07:27 PM
The Big Tradeoff...

Amazon.ca - free shipping (when your order is over $39 - I can usually find some book, CD or DVD to add to the order) and discounted price but you gotta a month of so for the book to get to Canada.

Conjelco - the book arrives shortly after it's released but you gotta pay full price, shipping & handling and Canada Customs charges $5 to process taxes and duty.

General Cross-Border Online Shopping tips...

I prefer shipping thru USPS (US Postal Service) when the option is available. I find that most orders from most online places I've ordered from arrive within a week. Aside from the reasonable deliver times, Canada Customs "only" charges a $5 fee for processing taxes and duty. UPS charges $15 as I recall, I'm not sure about FedEx but I understand they are somewhat cheaper than UPS.

You also want to make sure that when you are ordering multiple orders from one site that they are shipped together otherwise you get stuck paying the brokerage fees for each shipment.

Wyers
11-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey Razor,

Most likely I'll wait around for Amazon.ca (or less likely - Chapters). My last orders (ITH and SSH) have been through Amazon and they've always been prompt.

And, as you mentioned, the free shipping is a nice bonus.

Take Care,

Wyers

SlantNGo
11-08-2004, 08:28 PM
I got SSH for 24.95 CAD on Amazon with free shipping ordering a book for a friend as well. Compare that to 24.95 USD on Conjelco, I think I can wait for Amazon.ca /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hallett
11-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Ordered Ed's book from Amazon.ca, it was cheap and fast. Highly recommended.

edit: It did not take a month after the US release, more like a week or at most two.

HoldingFolding
11-11-2004, 10:44 PM
When will it be available on amazon.com?

Mason Malmuth
11-12-2004, 01:30 AM
Hi HoldingFolding:

Amazon doesn't like us to create a page until the book is published. So you probably won't see it there until the beginning of December.

Best wishes,
Mason

KenNL
11-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Mason,

I haven't received an e-mail confirmation on the Harrington pre-order I made a week ago. Does that mean anything?

wuarhg
11-14-2004, 08:11 PM
You can order through 2+2 and pay with Neteller? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TransientR
11-14-2004, 10:30 PM
I guess Doyle didn't read that Amazon policy.. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frank

Freakin
11-14-2004, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can order through 2+2 and pay with Neteller? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. ConJelCo supports Neteller payments. It's not automatic though. Once you order, you have to manually initiate a peer-to-peer transfer to the email address they provide for the full amount of your order. They absorb the transfer fees. Great way to buy things with your poker winnings.

Freakin

Mason Malmuth
11-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Hi TransientR:

I'm sure some other publishers have different arrangements with them, but that is ours.

Best wishes,
Mason

SlantNGo
11-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Amazon.ca has it ready for pre-order: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1880685337/qid%3D1100494325/701-9330218-9965901

Mason Malmuth
11-15-2004, 03:13 AM
Hi Slant:

I didn't even know this was up. It came from one of the two wholesalers that carry our books and service Amazon.

We do sell directly to Amazon and average two orders a week from them, but they can also pick our books up from other sources.

I noticed that Barnes & Noble.com also has a page for the book but they state that it's not yet available.

best wishes,
Mason

Luv2DriveTT
11-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Mason:

Have you chosen the cover art and color scheme yet?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

MrDannimal
11-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Yeah, it's listed on the "main" Amazon site too (I wanted to see if it had a release date):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1880685337/qid=1100747147/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl14/102-7214303-1601763?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Can't wait.

Nagoo81
11-18-2004, 02:00 AM
Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with the cover of the book. So, I took it upon myself to mock up a new one.

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pn25/HarringtonOnHoldemSmall.jpg

Tell me what you think.

A larger, crisper version can be found HERE. (http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pn25/HarringtonOnHoldem.jpg).

Nagoo81
11-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Oh. I did a back cover too. The light blue is where the blurb text would be.

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pn25/HarringtonOnHoldEmBackSmall.jpg

Mason Malmuth
11-18-2004, 03:13 AM
Hi Nagoo81:

I want you to know that I'm quite impressed with your work. I'm going to talk to Dan and Bill ASAP to see what they think. So I need you to send me by private message your phone number in case we do decide to make the switch.

Also, we can only switch the front cover because we have too much other information on the back cover to make the change.

Best wishes,

Mason

uuDevil
11-18-2004, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to talk to Dan and Bill ASAP to see what they think.

[/ QUOTE ]

To this, I say JAAAAAAAAA! Some talented people on these boards.

TransientR
11-18-2004, 03:29 AM
I prefer your publishing policy.

No matter how good Super System II is, I don't like that it is in essence being withheld from Amazon while Doyle's Room makes the most of its "play here and get SS2 free" promotion.

If SS2 is as good as advertised, I want to read it BEFORE I invest any more money playing online..:).

Frank

La Brujita
11-18-2004, 10:00 AM
The one with Dan and his intense stare is great! Nice job!

Back cover pick is pretty good, how about a picture of Dan with the WSOP cash. Too tacky?

kiddo
11-18-2004, 11:06 AM
This cover is much, much better, the other one is childish, this one gives u the feeling of reading about BIG-BET poker, hope they will switch.

MrDannimal
11-18-2004, 11:52 AM
I just want to suggest that if you go this route, you use pictures from the 2003 WSOP (you can get effectively the same types of pictures from the ESPN coverage).

That unbent bright green brim just drives me nuts.

razor
11-18-2004, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in case we do decide to make the switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't make the switch (either to Nagoo81's design or some other competent individual's design) you shouldn't be in the publishing business. Do you see why?

KungFuSandwich
11-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Wow. I just think its cool that yall actually listen to criticizm and use the ideas on here. It will be even cooler if I open my Christmas presents and find Nagoo's cover. (Ive been a really good boy this year!)

slickpoppa
11-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Good work Nagoo. This almost tops the Erin Ness clip that you did.

LargeCents
11-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Very nice cover, cognoscenti claim.

Beach-Whale
11-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Am I the only one that hates this cover? Even the original one is better.

Lloyd
11-18-2004, 04:17 PM
I like the new suggested cover and I love the picture of Dan in the bright green cap. From a marketing standpoint, the picture (or a similar one since I suspect ESPN might not want to allow usage but you never know) of Dan is highly recognizable. Even if people don't remember his name they will certainly remember him and his hat. Much, much better than the original.

This book is a little different than other 2+2 projects since it is written by a recognizable person. Most people couldn't recognize David, Mason, Ed, Ray, and the rest. But they recognize Dan. Take advantage of it.

jakethebake
11-18-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Me too. I just wanna reach out and bend it myself. That's what's so great about it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

slickpoppa
11-18-2004, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Me too. I just wanna reach out and bend it myself. That's what's so great about it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he must have the green hat on in the picture. You want people to recognize him. Also, the green hat shows that he is a thug gangster who refuses to conform to the norms of white bread, Abercrombie & Fitch society.

1p0kerb0y
11-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Wow! That new cover looks much much better. Hope to see that one on the bookshelves!

MicroBob
11-18-2004, 06:52 PM
I agree. I don't really like either cover THAT much to be honest....but I think having Dan on the cover in the green-hat is very helpful.

I mentioned to someone that Dan Harrington was coming out with a tournament-strategy book and they didn't know what that meant. i said he is a really good player and has made the final-table the last 2 years....no bells.
I said he was the guy with the green-hat in the ESPN-WSOP coverage..."Oh....Yeah, I know which guy you're talking about. He's really good." (of course, this guy wouldn't know who was good or not good if they had sharks or gold-fish painted on their forehead)

Some people just don't remember names.....but they remember green hats!!

There is no doubt in my mind that casual players will be more likely to grab the book for themselves (or husbands, friends, etc) due to recognition of the 'green-hat' guy in the photo.
Whether or not they understand the contents of the book is a different subject entirely.

KenNL
11-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Switch to the new cover--as long as doing so doesn't push back the target release date of the book. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dogsballs
11-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Mason, while we're at it, I have one.

When you get Bruce Zee to do a book on probability and gambling , please use this cover...

http://www.geocities.com/mahargretsbew/enter_the_dragon4.jpg

You can call it something like: Don't Fight the Odds.

No charge for this; you're welcome; it was nothing; happy to contribute to 2+2. /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mason Malmuth
11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi Everyone:

We are going to switch to the cover designed by Nagoo81. Both Dan and Bill, as well as myself, thought it was terrific. It will not delay our printing schedule.

Thanks Nagoo81 for a great cover.

Best wishes,

Mason

shadow29
11-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Mason, please ensure that you check with ESPN in refernce to their potential copyright of the image.

Semi-ironically, Greg is a patent lawyer...

PuckNPoker
11-18-2004, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

We are going to switch to the cover designed by Nagoo81. Both Dan and Bill, as well as myself, thought it was terrific. It will not delay our printing schedule.

Best wishes,

Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think his cover is fantastic. But I would recommend somebody getting him a higher resolution photo of Dan to use than the one he has. The one he used to build the cover is not print quality.

Nagoo81
11-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanks to everyone with the kind support! This is such a thrill to be contributing to this exciting new title, one can't even imagine. Thanks to Mason, Dan and Bill for having an open mind and going with the new cover.

[ QUOTE ]
I do think his cover is fantastic. But I would recommend somebody getting him a higher resolution photo of Dan to use than the one he has. The one he used to build the cover is not print quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a photoshop filter on Dan's pic to make it look like a rough water color painting. I think the effect is neat, and it works well for covers.

PS - For everyone who kindly supported me, I'll make you a custom (can be animated) avatar and host it! Just PM me with a funny idea and I will see what I can do! Again, thanks to all.

itsmarty
11-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Nice job! I guess it really never hurts to make a suggestion /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Martin

1p0kerb0y
11-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Glad to see the new and improved cover! MicroBob's comment about people recognizing Dan Harrington because of the green hat was right on. I find myself anxiously awaiting the release, even moreso than SSH (which was absolutely great), as right now I am playing mostly SNGs and no limit cash games.

MarkL444
11-19-2004, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

Best wishes,

Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a free t-shirt if you ask me

TransientR
11-19-2004, 01:59 AM
That shouldn't be a problem. Any competent printer will tell a publisher before going to print about any image resolution problems, especially on the cover.:). And Nagoo 81's cover was just a mock-up. The important thing is that his design is better than the original. Though there is a part of me that would have enjoyed seeing a picture of "Action" Dan folding KK..:).

Frank

Mason Malmuth
11-19-2004, 02:04 AM
Hi Shadow29:

I'm sure there is no problem since we are only using a portion of Dan's face, and that should be in the public domain.

However, just to make sure, I would like to look at the ESPN picture and I can't find it on the ESPN site. So could someone either tell me how to get there or even better post a link to the picture.

Thanks,

Mason

morgan180
11-19-2004, 03:36 AM
I think its a great design and carries forward some of the traditional 2+2 style with great design elements included.

I also think it TREMENDOUS of 2+2 to show the ULTIMATE support of their community by taking this selection. Truly something YOU DO NOT see every day - producers listening to their audience. Bravo Mason and all at 2+2. I'm a customer for life.

I can't wait to get my hands on this book!!

hukilai
11-19-2004, 03:59 AM
Mason,

I never had any reasons to write to you, so let me take this chance to thank you for everything you are doing for all of us.

Ok, back to business. I would like to present my version of the cover. I used as a source the Nagoo81's image, because I could not find the original. I was in rush while creating it, so there are a lot of ways it can be improved (layout, images, fonts, etc.), if you like the general idea, I will be happy to contribute.
http://hukilai.narod.ru/cover.jpg

(I am having problems with the site, so I duplicated it to your email. Feel free to ignore if not interested)

Mason Malmuth
11-19-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi hukilai:

The image does not show.

Best wishes,
Mason

hukilai
11-19-2004, 08:08 AM
Yes, it seemed to be a problem there. Looks OK now.

Aleksey

Beach-Whale
11-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Maybe this shows better:

http://uploads.savefile.com/redir/24235.jpg

I like this a lot better than the other version.

hukilai
11-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Beach-Whale, thank you for backing me up.

Now this image is availabe at its original location:

My version of the cover (http://hukilai.narod.ru/cover.jpg)

Regards,
hukilai

dirty moose
11-19-2004, 01:01 PM
gotta love that hat

PuckNPoker
11-19-2004, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used a photoshop filter on Dan's pic to make it look like a rough water color painting. I think the effect is neat, and it works well for covers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I realize what you used on the Harrington picture. What I am saying is the effect would be cleaner if you had a high res image to apply the filter on. The jagged white line of his hat is a giveaway. Also I think the mask on Dan could be done better, there is a black pixel outline on his left and on his right there is a big black space which should be blue.

Im not a photoshop pro by any means, especially print (which is different in a lot of ways than web), but years of reviewing my wifes work (who is a graphic designer for print) that is just what jumps out on me.

Im just point out little anal retentive details that should be cleaned up before it goes to print to be helpful not critiquing the design in any way.

Nagoo81
11-19-2004, 04:24 PM
I actually cleaned up the final proof that I sent to the printer, including cleaning up that black edge, the black patch behind his head, as well as cleaning up and improving the layout of the text a tad. The image was taken from the final table of this years' WSOP, from a screenshot. Unfortunately, that was the best quality for that pic I could get.

No problem with the criticism. I think it just shows that we all want this book to be as good as possibly it can be.

PuckNPoker
11-19-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually cleaned up the final proof that I sent to the printer, including cleaning up that black edge, the black patch behind his head, as well as cleaning up and improving the layout of the text a tad. The image was taken from the final table of this years' WSOP, from a screenshot. Unfortunately, that was the best quality for that pic I could get.

No problem with the criticism. I think it just shows that we all want this book to be as good as possibly it can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a great cover, I would be stoked everytime I walked past it in a book store /images/graemlins/smile.gif, Congrats.

KungFuSandwich
11-19-2004, 05:45 PM
I like the revision. The green title ties in nicely with the green hat /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nick_Foxx
11-19-2004, 09:54 PM
http://www.strictlyjungle.com/harr.jpg

Al Mirpuri
11-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Never mind thanking him. Send some money his way. That he did not expect any is even more reason.

Al Mirpuri
11-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Spot the error: statring requirements?

Lloyd
11-20-2004, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Spot the error: statring requirements?

[/ QUOTE ]

fitfth streets

Maybe people should starting working on the Raymer cover as I think this one is a done deal.

MEbenhoe
12-01-2004, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Credit card orders are charged when we are ready to ship except in the case of a pre-announcement such as this we may process the card a few days early in order to be able to prepare for the mass shipment on day 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happened to notice my card was charged today. Does this mean a shipment is near?

KingMarc
12-01-2004, 11:40 PM
ooh..ooh..mine too *pees in his pants*

2ndhandlow
12-02-2004, 02:23 PM
i used the ordertracking link conjelco sent in the confirmation email. The message i got was:
" Because it shipped from a location other than ConJelCo's West Coast warehouse, no further tracking information is available."
I assume that to mean its on its way.

MEbenhoe
12-02-2004, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i used the ordertracking link conjelco sent in the confirmation email. The message i got was:
" Because it shipped from a location other than ConJelCo's West Coast warehouse, no further tracking information is available."
I assume that to mean its on its way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm mine says the same thing. I would have thought that Mason would have said something on here if they were shipping already though. Well I'll just wait and see, but I am excited.