PDA

View Full Version : Poll: 3-Bet Standards

sammy_g
11-05-2004, 05:04 PM

J.R.
11-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Who is UTG+1? You want us to assume an uknown? What's the limit and location of the game?

sammy_g
11-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Party 5/10 6 max. No reads.

Trix
11-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Thought 77 was about the line for the pairs, but the poll suggests it should be higher. Comments ?

fsuplayer
11-06-2004, 11:47 AM
i three bet 77 with position HU and muck 66 almost everytime. not sure why my line is there, but it is. i also 3 bet A10s against an unknown, muck it against a better than average player.

Analyst
11-06-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i three bet 77 with position HU and muck 66 almost everytime. not sure why my line is there, but it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can get it HU, then it would seem to not matter much as UTG+1 will almost certainly have overcards - hopefully not an overpair - to your pair regardless of whether you hold 66 or 77 (or 22, for that matter). I guess that the reason is in case one of the blinds, say with a small PP of their own, comes along then size might matter.

Peter_rus
11-06-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can get it HU, then it would seem to not matter much as UTG+1 will almost certainly have overcards - hopefully not an overpair - to your pair regardless of whether you hold 66 or 77 (or 22, for that matter

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember about 55TTx boards, which beats with 77 and not with 22. Also 22 makes less straights and worse flushes. While second is not so imortant as you put UTG on overcards the first has some meanings.

SlantNGo
11-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Why does everyone play KQs so aggressively? I've always thought that it's a great multi-way hand, and only above average heads-up, i.e. about the same as AJo.

Nemesis
11-06-2004, 06:17 PM
KQs is one of my best hands quite honestly. I always get a rush when i see it in the pocket.

Vern
11-07-2004, 09:28 AM
If UTG+2 is raising a medium to large PP, 88-JJ, KQs provides two overcards against all 4 pairs. AJ provides only two overcards to only 3 pairs. Against AJs, ATs, and several other large card combos other than AQx and AKx that he might also be raising, KQs is not dominated and either card pairing can win it for you as top pair. The fact that it is suited makes it even sweeter. The only hands you fear with KQs are AK, AQ (lesser than AK), AJ-A2s of your suit, AA, KK or QQ. All the rest KQs plays well against.

SlantNGo
11-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Are there any hands that you would cold-call 2 with? I'm coming from the full ring side, where it's standard to cold-call a raise with AQs, AJs and KQs. Currently I'm re-raising with AQs, and cold-calling with AJs and KQs, and this took a lot of heat from other posters in my starting hands chart post.

MisterKing
11-08-2004, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any hands that you would cold-call 2 with? I'm coming from the full ring side, where it's standard to cold-call a raise with AQs, AJs and KQs. Currently I'm re-raising with AQs, and cold-calling with AJs and KQs, and this took a lot of heat from other posters in my starting hands chart post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shorthanded I think I'm often making the same plays you describe above. In full ring, I really look at the player and how many others are in (or are likely to be in). KQs is a lonely place to be heads up against a reputable full ring raiser.

kiddo
11-08-2004, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any hands that you would cold-call 2 with? I'm coming from the full ring side, where it's standard to cold-call a raise with AQs, AJs and KQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you coldcalling these hands if you are on button and CO raises? No? In 6max, if UTG raises and I am sitting second with KQs or ATs and table is looseaggressive I could think about coldcalling because you will get more players in then. But normally you want to come to flop being the one that put in the last bet preflop, it gives u the right to those pots when noone connects to flop.

KQs/KQo is good headsup against somehwhat loose raiser because it beats all those Axo and Axs that they come in with, and they often want to see showdown with A-high even if flop is Q- or K-high.

SlantNGo
11-08-2004, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you coldcalling these hands if you are on button and CO raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming a UTG/UTG+1 raise, and you're sitting in CO or Button. No limpers in between... any cold-calling hands? What if there's one limper in between?

kiddo
11-08-2004, 01:01 PM
If no limper, normally no coldcalling. If 1 limper in between there are hands I dont like to 3bet, like AJo, KQs, ATs. The medium pairs, TT-88, is normally a 3bet, but if 1 limper I thinking about folding, 3way for 3bets they dont work very well. I normally fold ATo and KQo after 1 coldscaller.

With 1 limper - and specially if blinds are loose - I would also start to think about coldcalling with hands like Axs and QJs, JTs. (I think I prefer JTs over QJs because against raisers both J and T are often clean, Q is more often in the raisers hand.) With 2 coldcaller I would almost always limp with theses hands, pocketpairs also starts to get interesting.

Gazza
11-08-2004, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone play KQs so aggressively? I've always thought that it's a great multi-way hand, and only above average heads-up, i.e. about the same as AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you should aim for multi way action with good multi way hands in these SH games. If it happens it happens - fine - but usually the best approach is to try and win before the showdown through sheer aggression.
Cold calling simply doesn't fit with this strategy

Gazza