PDA

View Full Version : Mepps

Gar Pike
11-05-2004, 04:11 PM
So, apparently I'm still an idiot...

Party $20+2, blinds 15/30.

2 complete orbits gone, me in BB w/ QQ and 800 chips.

Folded to SB, who min raises. SB has 1400+ chips

As a general rule, do you push here, or just raise back, or just call, or say THWI and fold?

If you raise back, what do you do if opp re-raises?

If opp just calls the raise, and an A flops, then what?

If you just call, and an A flops and opp bets, what do you do?

Opp seems about 3 - 8 on the tight/loose, passive/agressive matrix.

I think... call the raise, bet 100 on the flop and fold to a re-raise if there's an A out there (or shut down if called) is fairly reasonable for this situation. But as I said, I'm still an idiot.

If you really want to know how it turned out, read this: <font color="white"> I figured this was a weak raise, I pushed, opp turns over AA and bye-bye, Gar. </font>

Regards

Gar

tallstack
11-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Having a hand in the BB against a steal raise is one of my favorite situations in poker. When you re-raise strongly from the BB it looks like you are a gambler who doesn't like people to steal your blind. It sends out a great message that your blind will not be given up easily. It also will often win you free passes on future BBs (when you really want the free passes).

I would raise to t180 (double the pot). I think pushing here is also fine to accomplish the objectives above. If the SB re-raised back then I would push for sure.

If your opponent calls your raise then you have position on the flop so will have the opportunity to see what he does on the flop first. If he checks, I would push any flop without an overcard and likely bet most flops with an A or K. If your opponent leads with a strong bet on a flop with an overcard then I would give up the hand. If the opponent leads at the flop without an overcard then I would go all-in.

Dave S