PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy play by one of the best

01-09-2002, 04:26 AM
Pot limit Omaha8 on UB. Flop is 9c8s6s (Pot $44). Checked to button who bets half pot, and is check raised twice by two players. Button calls a $130 bet and both others are now allin.

Button loses the hand having held A3TsJs. Here he has a low draw, a flush draw and a gutshot straight draw. However, apart from the gutser, no draws are to the nuts (unless you count catching a 2 for the low).

I thought this would be a clear fold, but the player in question said he thought he had a very strong hand and was unlucky not to get half or scoop.

Am I wrong about this being a fold? I thought if 2 other players were willing to check raise their whole stacks in he is probably looking at some kind of A2 draw with nut flush potential, and possibly a made straight and low draw in the other hand.

Anyway the player in question was Phil Hellmuth, and he knows a lot more than i ever will, so I can't argue with him, would just like to know what others think.

01-09-2002, 12:10 PM

01-10-2002, 01:04 AM
a non nut low vs a A2 low(possibly more then 1) and a weak, weak, weak flush draw vs the nut draw. all he has is the str8 draw (which is not a gutshot btw) which is NOT worth shoving a mound of chips in for a slim chance to get half the pot and possibly get quartered as well. this is a clear fold in my opinion, Phil must have thought his hands might have held up in high-low holdem but in omaha you can't assume that non nuts will win the pot. it's even in the intro to ray's book! the golden rule of all Omaha "thou shalt not draw to less then the nuts" I wonder what he thought they had?

01-12-2002, 11:42 AM
easy fold, and I would have taken the free turn card as well.

01-13-2002, 01:17 AM
What came? What did the other players have? Did both players have Phil covered? How big a game?

01-16-2002, 12:35 PM
What is his name on UB? I can't believe he'd be playing these low limits except perhaps to promote the site.