PDA

View Full Version : What about the call on the flop?

imaptone
11-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

ig0r
11-05-2004, 01:43 PM
No, you needed 10 SB for the gutshot. Bet the turn.

oops, just noted the raise, to call the 2nd bet you would need 10 BB pot..

josh1122
11-05-2004, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, you needed 10 SB for the gutshot. Bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think with implied odds its more like 8 or 9 SB, but I'm not the best odds counter so I'd be interested to hear what others say. Your position is also important here too. I think you can call with implied odds (and the backdoor flush draw), but being in position where it cannot be raised behind you is also important.

aron
11-05-2004, 01:50 PM
I just posted a similar question but to me it seems like a perfectly fine call. When you call the pot gives you 7-1, you need 11 to one to call your gutshot draw but you can count on some more action to go down on either the turn or river giving you the right odds.
In addition you also have your back door flush draw which holds up.

mack848
11-05-2004, 01:51 PM
I count this as 4 outs to the straight + 1.5 outs for the backdoor flush, minus a little for the fact that the Js is counted twice - say 5 outs. You need 8/1 to call on pot odds alone, but given that your getting 7/1 pot odds and you have good implied odds as both draws are to the nuts, I tend to think this call is OK.

That said, I can't help thinking that I have oversimplified this, or missed something completely. I am a micro player! Please enlighten me.

meep_42
11-05-2004, 02:09 PM
The flush draw is not to the nuts. Otherwise, good explanation. 5.5 outs needs 8.5:1 odds, hand is easy to get away from if the turn is bad, but you're not closing the action. I'd probably call but be kicking myself at the raise behind me.

Checking the turn is fine.

-d

mack848
11-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Doh. Saw the Ace, assumed nut flush draw!