PDA

View Full Version : Starting Hand Analysis

Jellyroll
11-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey guys,

I've been reading the forums for a while now, but this is one of my first posts.

When I started playing a couple months back, I took the iniative to try to figure out for myself which starting hands had the best expection. This was mostly a challenge/excercise, as I realized there were already tables and such available in books/on the web. Although, I could not find a complete table that showed exactly how much of a difference there is between the hands, and mathmatically how these hands change value as the number of players increase/decrease. I found one page on the web that had a table for 10 players, but that was it.

So, I ended up writing my own simulation software that would deal random hands to (2-10) players, assume each player stayed into the river and record the winners/losers. This was then repeated about 3 billion times for each number of players. The results were then made viewable in a simple table form.

Anyway, I made the data available on the web in case it is of interest to anyone. For me, the most valuable data that I've gained from this is having starting hand table for different short handed games. Other than this, it gave a beginner (me) an introduction to the game and to probability. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this may have already been entirely, but maybe it can offer something new /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Starting Hand Analysis (http://jelly.eng.wayne.edu/analysis/hole.php?numofplayers=10&images=&sort=rank)

Comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Jellyroll