PDA

View Full Version : i check to you - you fold...on the river?

asofel
11-05-2004, 11:50 AM
I was playing a few hands before work this morning (yes, addicted, i need help) and something strange happened: I was betting out on the flop (HU), on the turn, and after being called down the whole way I pulled up and just checked on the river. My opponent folded....

Now, he left right then, so perhaps he just closed the app real quick, maybe he was disconnected, I don't know, but it got me thinking.

When would you fold if checked to on the river? Ever?

If so, what would the reasons be? Missed badly on a draw you shouldn't have been on? Know you can't win and don't want to give further info away?

I'm curious if anyone's ever seen this done by an intelligent player...

Thoughts?

Fat Nicky
11-05-2004, 11:54 AM
I have seen this done live as well as online. Online it could be a number of things, such as like you said, closing to app. Live play is a different story. When I saw this, everyone looked at the player who folded like he was from another planet, he just simply replied, "there was no way my hand was good." My guess was that he was embarrassed to show how he played that paeticular hand.

asofel
11-05-2004, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have seen this done live as well as online. Online it could be a number of things, such as like you said, closing to app. Live play is a different story. When I saw this, everyone looked at the player who folded like he was from another planet, he just simply replied, "there was no way my hand was good." My guess was that he was embarrassed to show how he played that paeticular hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's what i would think...on a bad draw, you know your 5 high isn't good, and you'd rather just crawl into the corner and hide /images/graemlins/smile.gif

molawn2mo
11-05-2004, 11:58 AM
I've seen this on several occasions at Party 3-6 and I believe each time was versus super aggro type who, I suspect, didn't want to reveal that he was chasing, badly.

aron
11-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Or maybe they just click the wrong button. A friend of mine changed from party to pacific and said he did this quite a few times since the buttons were reversed.
I can also imagine that he was going to check the "check/fold" box (persuming this was on party/empire that is). If you bet before that the fold button will appear in the same place, so maybe it was just bad timing.

rloftin
11-05-2004, 12:50 PM
WHY

asofel
11-05-2004, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WHY

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess the excessive 'WHY' posting is either really funny if there's a story behind it, or just really dumb otherwise?

prayformojo
11-05-2004, 01:15 PM
I once played a hand live 5/10, huge pot (over 20BB), I was playing numerous draws the whole way but had an unimproved AKs on the river. One bet, one call, and because both in the pot are drunk and have been playing like maniacs I call for a slim shot at a big pot.

The bettor mucks (busted bluff?).

The caller mucks (can only beat a bluff?).

The pot comes my way.

As far as I can tell, there are people who love to prove that they know when they're beat. Even when they're not. They would rather look right than be rich.