PDA

View Full Version : Table Image

redart
11-05-2004, 11:48 AM
I am begining to believe that table image is way over rated playing online...or at least up to the $30 SNG on PP. But at a B&M it is very important.

As a background I have about 600 SNG online and 7 B&M ACT I & II satellites at Foxwoods. Not huge samples but. Yesterday playing at Foxwoods I fold the first 12 or so hands at two different tables. First time I raise the immediate the reaction is "the rock moves". I was playing tight, but everyone noticed, and those that didn't were told. Over the course of the games people showed me hands that they folded to my bets.. AJs TT 55 88

Online...I have started games and had to leave the table for different reasons for 25 - 30 hands. You can't be more of a rock than hitting the away button. Still have a reasonable stack. Blinds at 25/50. I come back find KK, bet 4x BB. Get two callers, now a raise. showdown shows 44 99 and A6. So much for getting respect. Anyway my thoughts are to not even think about my "image". Just play solid poker and get my money into the pots with the best hands

By the way saw a few "stars" at Foxwoods playing in the 7 card stud..very cool

Irieguy
11-05-2004, 01:02 PM
It makes no difference early, but a few well-timed folds from the button in the late stages will allow you to steal a bit more on the bubble.

Irieguy

Miamipuck
11-05-2004, 03:25 PM
I find these two instances are most prevalent in creating table image. At least with my play.

1#) Is when I have A/K-Q,A-A thru Q-Q . Someone raises strong and I go right over the top of them. He/She goes all in, I obviously call and win....... when the exact same situation arises and I have a hand, and raise over the top...... 9 times out of 10 they will fold if they do not have a premium hand. I have seen this work especially well during Bubble play, and the chip leader (hopefully you or I) goes over the top.

It also works on the final table of a SNG 2 or 3 table. This situation arises every tournament, and makes opponents hesitant to call your re-raise and/or try and steal/challenge on the bubble.

Note:
****Of course do not try this with a maniac if you really do not want a confrontation.****

#2) I have also seen the opposite occur. I have, as well as everyone, gotten a real cold streak of cards. People then think you are timid or affraid. They will play at you with nothing. I actually love when this happens (well partially anyway! /images/graemlins/wink.gif) A result of them thinking you are weak/timid is they naturally under-estimate us. Our opponents fail to realize you have gotten no hands to play. Anyway when you get a hand blast'em. I have come back in many a SNG that way. Also you can do it with lesser starting hands too, say A-7+,K-10+,Q-10+ or J-10+ and any pocket pair. The reason I say this is because your EV for these situations is definitely positive. I have not run the math personally, but here is a link to someone that has............ 2+2 link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1153326&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

Note #2 is for level 3 or above if you have approx. 10 BB + OR -. This strategy does not come into play early, where #1 definitely can.