PDA

View Full Version : A7 Soooted Hand

toss
11-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Pacific Poker .25/.50 Ten Handed

Preflop:Hero holds A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the Button.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 raises, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, Small and Big calls.

I'm pretty sure I can call with that many cold callers. Right?

Flop:6/images/graemlins/club.gifJ/images/graemlins/diamond.gifA/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8BB (8 Players)
Small checks, Big bets, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Hero raises, Small calls, Big calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 3-bets, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, Small calls, Big calls, UTG+2 calls.

I thought my Top pair/No kicker, and backdoor flush would let me raise. (Now I know I should have just called) I placed Big on A-rag and MP1 on any two pair the board would allow.

Turn:J/images/graemlins/club.gif 17BB (6 Players)
Small checks, Big checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 bets, CO folds, Hero folds...

I had no flush draw, a most likely dominated hand, possibility of a trips, fullhouse, flush, etc. My hand was garbage.

Should I have called Preflop? Should I have called or fold on the flop? I need to learn how to play Axs. Thanks in advance for the advice.

PokerIsLife
11-05-2004, 09:42 AM
You should fold preflop to the raise. You definitely want to play Axs for as cheap as possible.

Clemtown53
11-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Folding Axs to a preflop raise has plugged a decent size leak in my game. If I can play it late to one bet fine, but playing it to a raise is gonna hurt you bad, especially if you are like I was (before I came to 2+2), and have trouble getting away from "hey, this hand may win, and oh, look at the size of that pot" type hands.

These hands can be especially painful to play if you flop two pair and bet them out, only to lose the the PF raiser who had AJ, KJ, JJ. Axs has gone from probably one of my biggest losers to one of my biggest winners (when others play it to my PF raise).

Slick Al
11-05-2004, 10:03 AM
With 3 callers after the raise, I don't mind this call preflop.

Flop - backdoor flush + top pair + large pot, I raise. When MP1 limp-3bets however, warning lights should go off.

Turn - I fold here as well, you're likely drawing to 2 Aces at best, and only getting 18-1 (really 9-1 because you're probably chopping if you hit).

Al

toss
11-05-2004, 10:09 AM
So if its checked to me I should raise with Axs? Or just ATs and above?

meep_42
11-05-2004, 11:32 AM
I think this hand is fine. MP1 spoiled your free card play and you laid it down. However, had the turn been 6h or 6s, I may have called the bet, as there is a decent chance his kicker was counterfeited. (Read dependant)

-d

Entity
11-05-2004, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this hand is fine. MP1 spoiled your free card play and you laid it down. However, had the turn been 6h or 6s, I may have called the bet, as there is a decent chance his kicker was counterfeited. (Read dependant)

-d

[/ QUOTE ]
The kicker was only counterfeited if he was playing ATs/o strongly preflop. Your turn fold looks pretty disciplined; I might raise here, but I also might just call on the flop, depending on whether I thought I'd get a free card and how likely a 3-bet was.

Rob

meep_42
11-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Which is why I said read-dependant. If Villain is 60% VP$IP, i'm not giving credit for a premium ace.

-d

toss
11-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Big holds AK which outkicks me and MP1 holds AJ which just kicks me.

Entity
11-05-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which is why I said read-dependant. If Villain is 60% VP$IP, i'm not giving credit for a premium ace.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]
PFR (and aggression) matter more than VPIP here, because most players aren't raising hands like A8/9/T preflop here, or 3-betting them on the flop.

Rob

meep_42
11-05-2004, 12:09 PM
MP1 didn't raise PF. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

And, I agree it's not likely.

-d

toss
11-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Its a little different on Pacific. I can't count how many times I've seen my AT outkicked by AK who just called the whole way with no preflop raise whatsoever. If someone raises it almost always means twopair, trips, and sometimes even a flush draw.