PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft comes out Nov. 23

Lawrence Ng
11-05-2004, 08:23 AM
As a hard core role playing gamer, I have been looking forward to this release for over 3 years.

About 3 days ago I signed up for their Final Stress Test, prior to this upcoming Open Beta which I believe will start later this week.

Having only logged about 10 hours of playtime in the game thus far, I am very impressed once more with Blizzard. They have yet, still YET, to dissapoint me with a product that is even worth slandering.

Does anyone else here plan on playing World of Warcraft. The slated release date is Nov. 23rd. I'm probably going to be restarting all over again because very likely Blizzard will reset the servers and erase all characters, disallowing the character transfer.

Having said this, it means I will be devoting many hours a week to this game. Playing this new MMORPG will be using up a great deal of my leisure hours, depriving me of sleep till I reach level 60, and ultimately kill my social life. So where does poker fit in? Well, I won't be off to the cardroom anytime soon, but I still need my poker fix.

So I guess it's time for me to finally seriously take up playing poker online. One hour of online play with even just 2 tables would equal 4-5 hours of playing live. Yep, it's going to be a challenge for me because I've yet to beat the limit games online. But I think balancing out online poker with online role playing games will be a great way to get my tilt factor off.

So, is anyone else going to be playing this?

Eihli
11-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Got my account last night and just logged out at 6:30 in the a.m. Had to get to level 10 and get my voidwalker. I'm kinda disapointed that I've been able to play all night and not see any pvp. In AC I'd be ganking noobs in the starter towns by now.

MrGo
11-05-2004, 10:09 AM
I never got into the Warcraft series...hope ya like it though!

Senor Choppy
11-05-2004, 02:31 PM
This is the strangest reason I've ever heard for switching from B&M to online play.

I'll be there on 11/23, too. Game looks sick.

astroglide
11-05-2004, 02:58 PM
i got invites to the alpha through a wizards of the coast employee (unsurprising connection with blizzard) but i gave it to a coworker because i've managed to avoid mmorpgs for this long. i offered it to senor choppy but he was still reovering from EQ addiction but now it looks like we're gonna lose him again. i do agree this one seems worth it though.

i have too many gaming hobbies already and i'm trying to limit them to ones that make me money or improve my thinking.

DCIAce
11-05-2004, 04:12 PM
WoW looks fantastic. A friend of mine was in the beta, so I got a look at the game in April. I'll most likely be playing, but I have to buy a computer first. Currently, the only thing I have is a laptop with a 1.1ghz celeron, 256mb ram, and onboard video.

KowCiller
11-05-2004, 05:36 PM
I downloaded the stress test the day it came available. I've only been able to play for a couple hours, but I've got a Night Elf Rogue up to level 7. The game is totally sweet. it's going to be hard to strike a balance between WoW and Online Poker. I'm going to try to still make it to the B&M every once in a while though.

WoW cranked up to 1600x1200 on the dell 2001FPs is freakin' sweet.

KoW

Legend27
11-05-2004, 07:13 PM
I played for 36 hours straight yesterday. Once I start playing that game I can't stop.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
11-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Sigh.... im a nerd too....

Lawrence Ng
11-05-2004, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the strangest reason I've ever heard for switching from B&M to online play

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I can't spend 4+ hours a night in a cardroom if I'm going to be playing WoW 8+ hours a night and try to hit level 60 in 2 weeks. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

So what I'll probably do is just play 1 - 2 hours online.

Lawrence Ng
11-05-2004, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have too many gaming hobbies already and i'm trying to limit them to ones that make me money or improve my thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having played DAoC for about 3 years, I thought MMORPGs got more and more complicated the higher a character levelled up. But what these games really have helped me with is patience. Trying to level my crafter all the way to the top took over a month. Achieving a very high status took several months. As a result this indirectly transferred over to my poker which I also learned that in order to well took many hours of patience.

As for making money, I wouldn't say that it's not possible, but definitely not as profitable as poker. There are many 3rd party companies who sell online currency, loot, and even characters for real money...cough..ebay..cough. But then again I like to play for fun and bragging rights. I'll stay with my day job and poker for money.

Lawrence Ng
11-05-2004, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Currently, the only thing I have is a laptop with a 1.1ghz celeron, 256mb ram, and onboard video.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that even a system with a Geforce3, 1.5 Ghz, and about 512 mb ram running at 800 by 600 is pretty good. The game doesn't require a power system to run. Kudos to Blizzard.

Lawrence Ng
11-05-2004, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played for 36 hours straight yesterday. Once I start playing that game I can't stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't some Korean kid die because he didn't sleep for 3 days of non-stop playing of Lineage? LOL, don't over do it bro. It is after all just a game, but as a hardcore gamer myself I know how you feel.

Legend27
11-05-2004, 08:44 PM
My server Test 4 is down right now. Guess I'll have to play some poker then. PPM semi's are tonight. I'll do some of those.

Senor Choppy
11-05-2004, 10:04 PM
I made a decent amount of money playing EQ for a few months last year. My hourly rate was slightly below minimum wage, but if I wasn't playing poker, I'd rather play some repetitive game all day than go to a real job. Since it was something I was doing anyway, the extra $1k or so a month was a nice way to at least justify it to my wife.

BusterStacks
11-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Am I to understand that if I sign up for crappy FilePlanet I can play the stress test NOW?

Legend27
11-06-2004, 01:22 AM
Yes. But you mind as well wait for Open Beta. It starts in the next few days.

Legend27
11-06-2004, 01:24 AM
Ok screw poker. I got 2 outed on the river 3 times. That's so bad. But then I 2 outed people twice on the river and lost both of them.

Senor Choppy
11-06-2004, 03:17 AM
I think that's for closed beta testers only, but open beta should be happening any day. Just make sure to check their website a lot, I'm sure the slots will go fast.

Matty
11-06-2004, 03:39 AM
Good God how am I supposed to finish my degree now?

Blarg
11-06-2004, 04:16 AM
I spent way too much time on Everquest, and this WOW is kinda scary, it looks so good. I love the humor and sense of fun in the Warcraft games(well, not crazy about Starcraft). I'd love to get WOW, but the problem is I bet I'd love it. Also, although they say they're making a game you don't have to be hardcor to advance in, I doubt it. One of the guys they hired to patch up and help design their quests is one of the most hard core uber-guild jerk leaders in Everquest. I'm thinking I might stay away from WOW for a while. I'm sure it'll be around for years, so no hurry. Big big temptation, though.

Happy Hour
11-06-2004, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Trying to level my crafter all the way to the top took over a month. Achieving a very high status took several months. As a result this indirectly transferred over to my poker which I also learned that in order to well took many hours of patience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another former DAoC player here. Speaking of crafting, how is it in WoW? I so hated that damn green bar in DAoC.

I, too, think that all those years of MMORPGs helps me now to sit at the computer and grind for 7+ hours at the poker tables without going batty.

Lawrence Ng
11-06-2004, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to get WOW, but the problem is I bet I'd love it

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late for me, /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Gonna be many sleepless nights the next 6 months.. time to whip out the expresso.

Legend27
11-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Can some one send me newest patch through hotmail or AIM? I'm behind a firewall at college and cannot dl an patches through blizzards downloader because it's peer to peer. My hotmail is RyanL1027@Hotmail.com. Thanks.

Nemesis
11-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Eihli do you recognize my avatar /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eihli
11-07-2004, 08:02 PM
it's a 20 meg file. i don't think hotmail allows that.

Eihli
11-07-2004, 08:04 PM
i'll never forget. god i miss that game. it's sad that a computer game can invoke such strong feelings of nostalgia.

did you play DT?

Nemesis
11-07-2004, 08:05 PM
yes, Who were you? I played Eryxis, Nemesis Enforcer, Dread Pirate Robert, and several others. I ran bloodchain for a while if you were ever in it.

edit

And yes it really is weird that a game can evoke such strong emotions. I still have an account that a friend is paying for (my lvl ~240 War/resist/missile D mage) I can play him any time I like, but poker has taken over.

Eihli
11-07-2004, 08:41 PM
i played duffed, archmage nefilim, scq, loktakwah, krogoth, and woolygimp.

i started out playing on TD since that's where all my friends played. when i found out about DT i figured i'd save the trouble of having to level all the way back up to 40 on a new server so i tried trading my matty robe for an account on DT and ended up giving it to some guy who then squelched me and recalled. this was back when they sold for 150+ on ebay. yeah i was new. :/ welcome to mmorpg eh? i ended up getting it back though because once i got on DT i'd find amuli tops/bottoms that looked like GSA and i'd trade them to people as real GSA. what a rush. i'd put a set of my friends real gsa in the trade window so they could id it. then i'd say something like "sec, aim keeps minimizing me." and i'd close the trade window and stall for a few seconds like i was replying. then i'd open the trade window again and put the fake gsa in there and they wouldn't bother iding it this time.

i had the most fun playing duffed. i started him right after the hollow weapon patch. he was my first character on DT before i knew anything about the game. a spec ua train creature/life/item/lockpick/healing. me and a friend (spec staff/life 100str/foc/self) owned vesayen back then from lvls 20-40. we played from the same room so we had perfect communication while fighting and we could take 3-4 level 50+'s at a time. this was before they fixed jump-heal/jump-log/recall-timers/portal-log/everything else that didn't need to be fixed.

i tried playing again a few months ago and soloed my way up to lvl 100 from scratch in about a month and realized the game had turned to [censored].

Nemesis
11-07-2004, 08:50 PM
yeah it's just not the same. PvP is too much about ganks now, and not enough about skill... which is what i'm worried obout in WoW. I think i'll just play Halo 2 and Poker. I don't need another addiction.

BusterStacks
11-07-2004, 10:49 PM
I heard open beta starts tomorrow...

Lawrence Ng
11-07-2004, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard open beta starts tomorrow...

[/ QUOTE ]

Open beta starts on the 8th, so yes it will start tommorow and there's gonna be a ton of noobs running everywhere.

Ponks
11-08-2004, 01:58 AM
I played on Guinevere, did anyone play there?

Ponks/John

Eihli
11-08-2004, 02:45 AM
Guinevere? Isn't that daoc?

Senor Choppy
11-08-2004, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Open beta starts on the 8th

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great answer to SOE shipping EQ2 two weeks earlier than WoW.

Ponks
11-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Ops hit reply to the wrong post, didnt realize you had jumped to talking about another game. Yea, it was DAOC.

Ponks

BusterStacks
11-08-2004, 03:14 AM
WHEN!!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!

Lawrence Ng
11-08-2004, 04:45 AM
I use to play on Mid Guinevere. Great realm.