PDA

View Full Version : All in with 55

Virox
11-05-2004, 07:46 AM
$20 SNG

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed)

UTG (t1740)
MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t1920)
CO (t815)
Hero (t915)
SB (t780)
BB (t830)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t100, MP1 calls t100, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t915 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls t815.

I figured a high pocket pair would have raised so if I get called I will probably be up against two high cards. So this is a clear +EV move. Or?

lorinda
11-05-2004, 08:02 AM
I figured a high pocket pair would have raised

I think this is a dangerous assumption.

A lot of players, particuarly in the lower games don't like to 'waste' aces or kings and slow play them habitually.

I would be surprised if MP1 had the big pair here, but not at all surprised if UTG had one.

There is some merit in the move because if you can get UTG to fold, then MP1 is very likely to fold too, however for 1/9th of my stack, I like to call here and try to flop a set.
It's not going to cripple me if I miss, and if I flop a set there is every chance I'll double through (sometimes worse, but sometimes better too), and my personal preference is to go for the no-lose situation.

Lori

Gramps
11-05-2004, 08:21 AM
The thing is, you don't need to take this risk here with 915 chips. You have plenty of fold equity, and can fold your way into the 100/200 level with some fold equity still remaining. If you do get called, you're a coin flip at best - and a lot of players will limp with a mid pair here (higher than 5s), then call a push like this with the nice overlay in the pot (or call you with a coin flip hand, which you don't need to risk yet in a spot you're often going to be called).

Nice to pick up those chips in the pot...but the benfit isn't that great for the risk taken.

betgo
11-05-2004, 10:58 AM
You are getting great implied odds to call and play for a set. I think that is the better move here.