PDA

View Full Version : once I used to know a little about how to play poker (JTo in BB)

sin808
11-05-2004, 06:25 AM
I think that small part of my memory was wiped.

No particular reads, table seems to be playing any face.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls.

ugh? Is JTo not worth calling this raise when I'm in the BB? Not sure which play would really be correct (calling v. folding). With the whole table coming along it seemed reasonable at the time.

Flop: (24 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

raise good or bad? better to call (or even fold)? anyone cap?

Turn: (18 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

umm.. yeah...I dunno.

River: (26 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks.

ditto.

Final Pot: 26 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 26 BB, between UTG, CO, SB and Hero.</font>

This has a 'misplayed on every street' feel to me. Survey says?

spydog
11-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Preflop: Calling is good. Even when it is 2 bets back to you, call.

Flop: I like the raise on the flop. TP, crappy kicker. You might be up against an overpair, but you might as well try and drive some people out. The pot is just too big to give up. When UTG 3-bets, I think AA or KK. I don't think he limp-reraises PF with Jacks.

Turn: I raise SB and try and get as many bets in as possible. I think I'm ahead of UTG and SB. I would only be scared of a flush by CO.

River: Hummmm.....I think I bet. Only the K or Q beats you and no one is folding in this huge pot. So, yeah, bet and call a raise.

The Setup
11-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Pre-flop: I call the SB raise pre-flop given the amount of limpers but I don't call SBs cap pre-flop.

Flop: Raising is good here as you want any overcards to fold, however I would never cap here.

Turn: I raise SBs bet here and call a 3-bet.

River: I bet out as I'd hate to see it checked around.

spydog
11-05-2004, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop: I call the SB raise pre-flop given the amount of limpers but I don't call SBs cap pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's getting 11 to 1 on his call, assuming everyone calls. He must call this. The implied odds are sick with such a multiway pot.

The Setup
11-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Yip I agree, I was at work when I replyed to the original question, didn't notice how much the pot was offering hero on his call pre-flop. Need to pay more attention in future /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scotch78
11-05-2004, 09:24 AM
I hate the flop raise here. It doesn't really matter to you if someone makes a higher pair because you are likely up against a higher pair already. You're on the draw, so your fear is losing the pot to something better than 2 pair when you do improve. A flush draw isn't going anywhere and there's no straight draw to be afraid of, because anyone who got this far with 75 isn't leaving now. That leaves a higher two pair or set. Since this scenario requires one of the remaining cards to improve you (and you're screwed if it improves them, too), that leaves the other person one chance at a max of 5 outs. You're fighting for about 11% of your 20%. Umm, why?

Scott

PS When UTG 3-bets you the pot is laying 10-1, so the only draws that had odds before your raise and lost them are pocket pairs 99 and lower.

kiddo
11-05-2004, 11:14 AM
problem with raising flop is that 90% both limp-reraiser and capper will call or raise. Your raise will not make them fold.

If they raise: You are probably drawing for a 5outer, as long as noone is on a flushdraw.

If they coldcall: What to do on turn? Bet into them again? That is investing a lot with a pair of tens, no kicker. One of them raise and then you... eh.... call? And then crycall seeing someone else take your 6BB.

Since you cant make them fold flop you better call and see what happens behind you.

On turn I would raise hoping SB is on overpair and a flushdraw and hoping the others will fold.

I would not bet river. You are against 3 players and they probably all got higher cards then your J, a big chance they got u beaten.

But of course, this is 1/2, and if they are non-thinking LAGs, maybe your line is good. (Not on turn)

sin808
11-05-2004, 08:14 PM
so consenus seems to be the flop raise is marginal at best and probably not the best idea, and that I should have raised the turn (right so far?).

results are:
SB has 3c 3s (one pair, threes).
Hero has Tc Jd (flush, ace high).
UTG has Kc Kh (one pair, kings).
CO has Qh Jh (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 26 BB.

So even though I took it down, I really didn't like the way I played it. Still adjusting somewhat to the 6-max games and shaking out my game a bit. The players at the 1/2 seem just as bad as the .50/1 players for the most part, but definitely require some adjustment. Thanks for the replies, hopefully the hands I post will gradually have less glaring mistakes in them as time goes on /images/graemlins/grin.gif