PDA

View Full Version : American Psycho

mikeyvegas
11-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Patrick Bateman : Do you know what Ed Gein said about women?
David Van Patten : The maitre 'd at Canal Bar?
Patrick Bateman : No, serial killer, Wisconsin, the '50s.
Craig McDermott : So what did he say?
Patrick Bateman : "When I see a pretty girl walking down the street, I think two things. One part wants me to take her out, talk to her, be real nice and sweet and treat her right."
David Van Patten : And what did the other part think?
Patrick Bateman : "What her head would look like on a stick..."
[laughs]

I must be a sick bastard, 'cause this movie always cracks me up.

craig r
11-05-2004, 05:35 AM
It is a great movie. I know a lot of people don't like Ellis' writing, but I think it is great. And I like all 3 movies that were adapted from his novels.

craig

Ulysses
11-05-2004, 06:49 AM
I like the movie. I read the book quite often.

craig r
11-05-2004, 06:51 AM
quite often? i only read it once. it was some tough reading.

craig

JTG51
11-05-2004, 07:03 AM
What did you think of the book and/or movie The Rules of Attraction?

Senor Choppy
11-05-2004, 07:16 AM
I can't think of a single movie I'd rather rewatch as much as American Psycho.

nicky g
11-05-2004, 07:41 AM
I've read it several times. It is a great great book. The movie is fine, but nothing to get excited about.

Lawrence Ng
11-05-2004, 08:13 AM
One of my favorite movies and books...

Ulysses
11-05-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What did you think of the book and/or movie The Rules of Attraction?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the book. I thought the movie was absolutely horrible. I do, however, love Shannyn Sossamon.

Tyler Durden
11-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Awesome book and movie. My roommates and I used to watch it almost every weekend in college. We couldn't get enough.

I have to go return some videotapes.

astroglide
11-05-2004, 03:08 PM
oh come on, the drunk guy in the restaurant was hilarious. i thought the movie had several good scenes.

turnipmonster
11-05-2004, 03:14 PM
do you reread other books, or just that one?

I finally just got around to checking out michael connelly and f. forsyth books from the library, courtesy that thrillers thread we had a while back.

--turnipmonster

Oski
11-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Ed Gein (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/gein/bill_1.html)

Copy of first page out of 9:

[ QUOTE ]
Buffalo Bill and Psycho

On November 17, 1957 police in Plainfield, Wisconsin arrived at the dilapidated farmhouse of Eddie Gein who was a suspect in the robbery of a local hardware store and disappearance of the owner, Bernice Worden. Gein had been the last customer at the hardware store and had been seen loitering around the premises.

Gein's desolate farmhouse was a study in chaos. Inside, junk and rotting garbage covered the floor and counters. It was almost impossible to walk through the rooms. The smell of filth and decomposition was overwhelming. While the local sheriff, Arthur Schley, inspected the kitchen with his flashlight, he felt something brush against his jacket.

When he looked up to see what it was he ran into, he faced a large, dangling carcass hanging upside down from the beams. The carcass had been decapitated, slit open and gutted. An ugly sight to be sure, but a familiar one in that deer-hunting part of the country, especially during deer season.

It took a few moments to sink in, but soon Schley realized that it wasn't a deer at all, it was the headless butchered body of a woman. Bernice Worden, the fifty-year-old mother of his deputy Frank Worden, had been found.

While the shocked deputies searched through the rubble of Eddie Gein's existence, they realized that the horrible discoveries didn't end at Mrs. Worden's body. They had stumbled into a death farm.

The funny-looking bowl was a top of a human skull. The lampshades and wastebasket were made from human skin.

A ghoulish inventory began to take shape: an armchair made of human skin, female genitalia kept preserved in a shoebox, a belt made of nipples, a human head, four noses and a heart.

The more the looked through the house, the more ghastly trophies they found. Finally a suit made entirely of human skin. Their heads spun as they tried to tally the number of woman that may have died at Eddie's hands.

All of this bizarre handicraft made Eddie into a celebrity. Author Robert Bloch was inspired to write a story about Norman Bates, a character based on Eddie, which became the central theme of the Alfred Hitchcock's classic thriller Psycho.

In 1974, the classic thriller by Tobe Hooper, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, has many Geinian touches, although there is no character that is an exact Eddie Gein model. This movie helped put "Ghastly Gein" back in the spotlight in the mid-1970's.

Years later, Eddie provided inspiration for the character of another serial killer, Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs. Like Eddie, Buffalo Bill treasured women's skin and wore it like clothing in some insane transvestite ritual.

[/ QUOTE ]

elwoodblues
11-05-2004, 03:36 PM
That book was so disturbing. I read it a few years ago. If I remember correctly, they don't believe he actually killed all the people to make his flesh furniture/clothing rather that he was a grave robber (and also killed people)

Rushmore
11-05-2004, 03:48 PM
I have read the book probably five times.

The movie was good, but certainly not what I was hoping for.

Great bits from the book (as I recall them, as I don't have it handy):

--He's in the kitchen, making meatloaf out of some hooker or debutante he killed the night before. He suddenly stops, catching himself tearing up. He goes on to explain that he is crying because of his frustration at having "never cooked anything before."

--He's fanatasizing about being normal, meeting a woman, etc..."We go to the park, have an ice cream, we buy balloons, we let them go."

Great bit from the movie:

--He appears in the background, in a see-through MacIntosh, wearing rubber gloves, and carrying an axe. If you look closely, it's an Armani axe.

If anyone has not read the book, go out and buy it. Forget the movie for the time being. Read the existing threads on the 80's in this forum, watch an episode of Family Ties (in case nobody could tell, Ellis has an obsession with this show), then read the book. It's perfect.

JTG51
11-05-2004, 03:50 PM
I do, however, love Shannyn Sossamon.

Me too. And Jessica Biel.

I wouldn't go as far as to say horrible, but I didn't like the movie either. I heard the book was good, but that was from someone who liked the movie too.

Ulysses
11-05-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you reread other books, or just that one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I reread other books as well. Off the top of my head, other books I've re-read recently include Soul of a Chef, Kitchen Confidential, Fight Club, and High Fidelity. I have probably read American Pyscho at least 4 or 5 times, though, which is not something I normally do.

sfer
11-05-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...Fight Club, and High Fidelity...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an odd juxtaposition.

A_C_Slater
11-05-2004, 07:51 PM
My favorite part in the book is when he's at the U2 concert and becomes convinced that Bono is The Devil.

It's parts like this that can't be translated into the movie that makes the book worth reading.

The only books I've ever re read multiple times are 1984, American Psycho, Hunter Thompson's stuff and all of Castaneda's. Don Dellio is good too, Ellis says he's the greatest living american writer.

thatpfunk
11-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Rules of Attraction is a great book. Disturbingly similar in many ways to my college when you take away the overdone satirical parts.

Less than zero as a movie was pathetic. It is much too different than the book.

Its interesting (to me, a lit nerd) that many of the same characters show up in his books. Patrick is Sean bateman's brother, James Van Derbeek (sp?) from Rules...

Glamorama is another interesting one from Ellis. Not quite as f'ed up but he tries his best.