PDA

View Full Version : Turn play - the puke no bet rule

SmileyEH
11-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Hand came up today, dont have the hand history.

Myself and antoerh player each have already doubled up in a 20+2. I flop a set and bet into him and he calls. Turn completes a straight on the board and he checks. Would you check behind hoping to play for a small pot or pot commit yourself with another bet?

Obviously in this case he had a straight, but the idea of playing a small pot with a set is just so foriegn to me.

Continually working on my nonexsistent post flop skills /images/graemlins/smile.gif...

-SmileyEH

pshreck
11-05-2004, 04:09 AM
Not much in your post makes sense. Are you saying he likely hit the straight on the turn? Its not possible for a straight to have hit on the board on 4th street. Also what do you mean by checking behind and playing for a small pot? Please explain your post more, its jumbled.

SmileyEH
11-05-2004, 04:15 AM
Flop: J9x Turn: K

QT makes a straight. Thats what I meant, sorry for the poor wording - been a long day.

-SmileyEH

wjmooner
11-05-2004, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't be scared of the turn card here. You're heads up and only one hand beats you.

On the other hand, if the flop comes 9TJ and a Q comes on the turn you might want to shut it down.

If you pot it and he checkraises you then you might want to think about whether he would do this with anything less than the nuts. Tough to lay down still though, since most people would checkraise with 2 pair here as well.

WJ

Benholio
11-05-2004, 01:36 PM
I would be extra sure to bet again on the turn, because he is now much more likely to be drawing towards a straight than he was before.

JT, JQ, KQ, T9, AQ are all common holdings for villain here, and they all just became straight draws. He is likely to pay off a large bet here now that he has a draw to go with his pair.

I don't think twice about making this pot as big as I can here.

Sponger15SB
11-05-2004, 01:44 PM
I'd just like to say that SNG we played last night.... you know the one where I had 2,800 chips with 8 people left.

I ended up 4th. Bleh.

Benholio
11-05-2004, 02:25 PM
To further derail the thread, I know how you feel Sponger. Fired up 6 SnG's, and within 5 minutes I had tripled up on 3 of them (THREE!) and doubled up on 2 others. Of these 6, I scored one third place and thats it. Hate it when that happens!

BTW Sponger, do you play the 20+2's @ party? I ran into Smiley in one of those last night. I play as Benholio and Saden on those.

Sponger15SB
11-05-2004, 02:42 PM
I just started playing last night after a few days at the $10's, don't plan on staying that long either as I have the roll for the 30's.

Made the money 7x out of 20 with 7 wins thus far /images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit - make that 8 wins in 8 ITMs

Dallara
11-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Benholio, I played against you twice in the past couple days on the 20's. Neither of us moneyed in either of them and no good pots between us. I'll say hello from Dallara (not my PP name) if I see you again.