PDA

View Full Version : Single table $5+$1 games (help!!!)

scottie g.
11-05-2004, 03:01 AM
OK, so I've been playing in the $5+$1 for maybe 2 months now, and I have experimented with a bunch of different playing styles.
I have found this play style to be consistent and relatively effective... but I am placing in 3rd place more than anything else. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Let me know what you think about this play:
I play very tight in the beginning of the game, and will play very few hands until at least 2+ people are knocked out. Afterwards, I still play tight but take down pots when I can (high probabiliy of winning the pot).
This usually puts me at about a middle or short stack and maybe there are 5 or 6 people remaining. Then I still play fairly tight but will attempt to steal blinds and make high % bluffs at the pot. Also, I play more aggressively here and attempt to bluff and steal blinds a lot of the time. This ususally keeps me in the game, and I make it to the top 3. Also, I usually win my pots by making people fold so they cannot draw on me.
Here is my problem. The situation is usually this: There are 3 people left, and I am almost always the short stack. I almost always play aggressively here, and try to push as many starting hands as possible. I usually end up getting taken out here, however. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Can anyone help me fix this problem If I get 3rd another time I'm gonna go nuts. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

:: Possible thought::: Am I taking the pot too soon and not letting people put more of their money in the pot? I just hate when people draw on me.

Penetrater
11-05-2004, 03:55 AM
Focus more on the rise of the blinds as opposed to how many players are left (unless you are down to the booby prize.) Maybe try moving to PS or UB, that will save you 50% in entry fees, it adds up.