PDA

View Full Version : I'm so ashamed - I actually like Celeb Poker Showdown

MicroBob
11-05-2004, 02:17 AM
I don't get Bravo at home. I've only seen a few minutes of one episode before. I've been watching most of tonight's (I'm out of town and get Bravo here).
Mena Suvari looks like she can actually play decently.
Wanda Sykes is kind of amusing. Jerome Bettis has made a couple really weak-tight folds.

Dave Foley is kind of annoying but occasionally amusing.
Phil Gordon always annoys me...but he's not half-bad as a basic-analyst.

What I like the most is seeing this 5-person tournament from beginning to finish. They are all starting with the same size stack and you the development of the game is kind of interesting (even though some of the play is like watching a train-wreck).

Anyway, I kind of like it.....for whatever reason. Maybe it's just the cool-cat jazz music they play.

ClaytonN
11-05-2004, 02:22 AM
A lot of it has to do with the general light-heartedness of it all, compared to the intense stares and chip shuffling we usually see.

BreakEvenPlayer
11-05-2004, 02:57 AM
Me too.

whiskeytown
11-05-2004, 03:10 AM
this is true....

that's the same reason I usually play a $10 home game on Tues - not a lot of money to be made, but a ton of lighthearted fun, so I do it when I can.

RB

PokrLikeItsProse
11-05-2004, 03:33 AM
If you need some tips on how to play against some mediocre players, this is the number one poker show on TV. Since I am unlikely to join the large buy-in tournament circuit any time soon, this is the show that is most useful (except for the non-hold 'em WSOP events, which taught me a lot about games I had never played before).

The13atman
11-05-2004, 03:38 AM
Shannon Elizabeth was on tonight. Grrrrrrr.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jakethebake
11-05-2004, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you need some tips on how to play against some mediocre players, this is the number one poker show on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]Most of them have a ways to go before they get to mediocre. /images/graemlins/grin.gif And the show was better with the old host, Kevin Pollack.

PseudoPserious
11-05-2004, 11:22 AM
CPS also does a very good job of tracking the size of the bet, the pot, and everyone's stacks.

Oh, and Shannon Elizabeth is quite purdy. I'd rather watch her play Old Maid than anyone from the WSoP play poker.

PP

toots
11-05-2004, 12:13 PM
I think this is rapidly becoming one of my favorite poker shows. No, I mean really.

Aside from the lightheartedness, the commentary by Peter Pan... I mean Phil Gordon, is actually quite good. As others have said, good general tips and pointers for playing against idiots. Being the bad sport that I am, I much prefer to play against idiots than people who are even as mediocre as I am.

What's even more fun about this show is to watch someone with an actual clue (Ben Affleck, James Woods, etc) get taken down by a completely clueless dolt who happens to be catching miracle cards. Dunno why, but it just makes me salivate to see people get inspired by such crappy play.

This show, more than WPT, WSOP or any of the others, was what convinced me to give up 7 stud and try Hold Em.

Slacker13
11-05-2004, 12:31 PM
I am with you. I think Phil Gordon's analysis is very good and he makes the show interesting.

Dominic
11-05-2004, 12:32 PM
hey, I like it too

djcolts
11-05-2004, 02:22 PM
I enjoy the show. I don't know why - call it a guilty pleasure.

PokrLikeItsProse
11-05-2004, 04:02 PM
You know what? i am more likely to play against players of this skill level than against Annie Duke or Paul Phillips or someone else that good. Phil Gordon gives useful advice for playing against bad/mediocre/average players. No other show does that.

AJay2000
11-05-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't know if it's me, but didn't Neil Patrick Harris AND Shannon Elisabeth look like decent players? I thought they both played pretty well heads up against each other.

As an aside, I would pay any large buy-in to play heads up against Shannon Elisabeth. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

- Jay

jakethebake
11-05-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, I would pay any large buy-in to play heads up against Shannon Elisabeth. - Jay

[/ QUOTE ]
She gets my head up as well.

mojorisin24
11-05-2004, 05:45 PM
That's a good point

Hauser_III
11-05-2004, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it's me, but didn't Neil Patrick Harris AND Shannon Elisabeth look like decent players? I thought they both played pretty well heads up against each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

And James Woods and Mimi Rogers, as well as a few others. They certaintly aren't all terrible players on the show. And I also have to admit to liking it. I'd rather listen to Phil Gordon than Michael Konik (sp?) any day of the week.

italianstang
11-05-2004, 07:23 PM
The show's format should be changed. Instead of super-simple no limit holdem, make it interesting.

Limit Stud hi/lo 8 or better kill with a joker.

How many more cards am I going to get?
Why can't I go all in?
How much do I bet?
What happens if there is a pair on the board again?
What does that kill button mean?
What the hell is an eight or better qualifier?
Can you tell me what that guy folded a few minutes ago?
Why are my cards face up?
Is this blackjack?

Thats entertainment.

Hotdog
11-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Phil Gordon definately makes this show worthwhile. Some of the WPT commentary is just ridiculous.