PDA

View Full Version : KK flopped set

Redeye
11-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Does anyone like the way I played this hand? I thought that the only action I would get on this hand is if villian had AK or AA. Since 3 K's are gone, I thought it was equally likely that someone had JJ or QQ and might fold to a raise so I planned on calling and raising the river. Should I have been more aggressive due to the two tone flop? My thoughts were that villian's cap probably meant a PP or AKs, and consequently was unlikely to have a four flush.

Comments greatly appreciated.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (15.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

captZEEbo1
11-05-2004, 02:06 AM
seems good to me.

TripleH68
11-05-2004, 02:09 AM
I prefer a raise on the turn.

vacaflaca
11-05-2004, 02:14 AM
It seems fairly unlikely to me that he would have QQ's or JJ's and cap preflop, then continue firing on a K high flop, and then fold to a turn raise. Would he really not put you on a hand that at least included a K?

Also if he has AA or AK (probably not) you may get 3 bet if he's aggressive.

It seems that the most you lose is 1 bet IF he has QQ or JJ AND folds on the turn, since it seems doubtful that he would come out betting on the river with only Q's or J's.

This is all assuming that you don't have a good read on him that he might play differently. Also I am not very good so I'm probably way off.

Shillx
11-05-2004, 02:17 AM
At a minimum pop the turn. If you really think he has AA/AK you miss a lot of bets by waiting until the river.

The Shill

daveymck
11-05-2004, 06:16 AM
Raise the turn, I am probably tempted to even raise the flop if he does have AA or AK he is going to keep popping at you.

I suspect though I am playing to fast in these situations.

maxpowers21
11-05-2004, 06:43 AM
He capped the betting preflop. Raise the flop. There are many hands that he will give you action here with. If you get 3bet on the flop then you should opt for a slowplay and raise the turn, to gain that extra half a bet, but in this hand you could have easily lost 2SB on the flop by just calling.

Also raise the turn. There are many draw with that turn card that can crack your mighty set of kings, especially if he has an ace. It's also a double suited board, so even with your top set I would protect my hand with a raise. You also fail to put in extra bets when you are likely to have the best hand, if your opponet checks the river to you, you lose 1 BB. Bet the turn.

nepenthe
11-05-2004, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also raise the turn. There are many draw with that turn card that can crack your mighty set of kings, especially if he has an ace. It's also a double suited board, so even with your top set I would protect my hand with a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is heads-up you really aren't protecting anything by raising the turn. Opponent is unlikely to be on a flush draw anyhow. You raise solely because you have the best hand and want to put more money in the pot.

In this situation, you slowplayed far too much. I'm tempted to raise the flop to disguise my hand hoping for a 3-bet. However, the flop notwithstanding, you absolutely must raise this turn, as AA or even worse may 3-bet. Once the flush gets there on the river you're far less likely to get action.

mistrpug
11-05-2004, 11:35 AM
I can see calling the flop, but only if you're gonna raise on the turn. If he's got AA, he might cap the turn and you'll get at least one more bet on the river. If you wait until the river to raise and he's got AA, it's not as likely he'll keep raising IMO (esp with a scare card falling) and you cost yourself some bets.

aron
11-05-2004, 11:41 AM
I'd call the flop and raise the turn.

Redeye
11-05-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this situation, you slowplayed far too much. I'm tempted to raise the flop to disguise my hand hoping for a 3-bet. However, the flop notwithstanding, you absolutely must raise this turn, as AA or even worse may 3-bet. Once the flush gets there on the river you're far less likely to get action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really was questioning the way I played this hand, and I think I agree that I slow played it too much. I think in a situation similar to this, my standard line would be to call the flop and raise the turn.

What is the best overall play here? Go to war on the flop? Call on the flop and go to war on the turn? My thinking was that there was statistically an equal chance of villian having JJ/QQ as AA/AKs. I think a player is more likely to cap with JJ (especially since I 3-bet after posting) than with AKo, and there was only 1 way for him to have AKs. Because of this, I thought raising the flop would've been bad as it would probably give JJ/QQ a reason to fold.

The problem with the way I played this, I think, is not raising on the turn. I guess I decided to wait until the river because the smooth call on the flop and raise on the turn would scream monster.

Anyways, villian ended up having QQ and called my river raise. I suppose it was the results of this hand that made me think there could be some validity to this line, but I could've missed a lot of bets if villian had AA. I guess I just thought statistically it was more likely for him to have QQ or JJ than AA or AK.