PDA

View Full Version : Party $100 tourney Hand ? by an Average tourney player

profitman
11-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Here's the hand. Can some of you tourney guys comment on my play in this hand? There were about 150 people left in the tourney. I've posted my comments at the end of the hand. Could u also comment on my comments? Thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed)

MP3 (t3435)
CO (t5710)
Button (t2835)
Hero (t1895)
BB (t2065)
UTG (t3660)
UTG+1 (t4820)
MP1 (t6545)
MP2 (t2698)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t150, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t450) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t2548 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t3298

I was just moved to the table so I don't know what kind of player he is. Should I have bet the flop? Do I take a chance and push after he raises me? I folded and I think i made the right play, but now I'm in all in or fold mode. I figured he has AJ or he slow played his AA but I'm really not sure. He would probably also limp with J-10. While I was thinking about actually making this call, I was thinking to myself that I'm really not one of the best players in the tourney, (i'm probably an average tourney player) so maybe I should make this call and if I actually make my hand, I would have a much better chance to make some of the big $$$ instead of struggling through the all in or fold mode. It seems like I'm always close to the bubble of tourneys and I'm almost ALWAYS at all in or fold mode during the bubble time.

JaBlue
11-05-2004, 01:29 AM
Has he made this move before? If so, what did he hold then? If he is bad enough to make this play with ONLY AJ at this point, you have 13 outs, or 48% chance to win the pot, or 1.08:1 to win the pot, which is giving you 1.25:1. But you're pretty screwed unless he has AJ or a complete bluff, which I think is unlikely enough to make your fold correct

ferb
11-05-2004, 02:20 AM
how bout a pre flop raise?

bugstud
11-05-2004, 02:30 AM
I like to check and blow someone off AT or the like here with an allin.

davidross
11-05-2004, 03:01 AM
I think you need to adjust your thinking at this point of the tournament. You are a long way from the money, and you have 6 big bets in your stack. You can't afford to keep bleeding your chips off with limps and calls. You need to look for a place where you either double up or win uncontested. If you complete the blind on this hand it should be with the intention of pushing on the flop anyway, but you are far better off pushing pre-flop. What if the flop comes K high, you bet and he folds. You won nothing more than you would have won if you pushed pre-flop an dhe folded.

Now after playing the hand the way you did, you have to call here. I think there is a very good chance you're actually a slight favorite. You have the nuts if an A or 9 comes, and a K or Q probably are good as well.

Penetrater
11-05-2004, 05:07 AM
Yeah, either that or check the flop and if he does have a monster, he might just check it right behind you.

gergery
11-05-2004, 10:21 AM
You have 1900 here and BB is 150 so you have 12xBB. I'm not a huge fan of pushing preflop when you can see a cheap flop for 75, but it's a good alternative if you've seen MP limp-fold with crap before. But I wouldn't do it if he's pretty loose.

On the flop I like chkraising all-in. Worse case you get a freecard for your straight.

Once you bet and he raises, you now must risk 1520 to win 2270, so you're getting 1.5 to 1 on your money, meaning you need about 11 outs to make call correct. Straight and backdoor flush are 9, and I'd figure K and Q are probably good too. So I'd call here, but I think its close. And I don't put him on a strong hand with that push. Maybe AT, Maybe QJ.

--Greg

betgo
11-05-2004, 12:37 PM
I think completing preflop was fine. You could push, although it would be an overbet. A raise to say 600 is not good, since you are out of position and shorter stacked. KQs is a good hand to see a flop with.

Checking the flop with the plan to checkraise allin is probably a better plan. The limper will probably bet against the blinds whether he has anything or not.

You have to call the push. An open ended plus two overcards is a big hand. You are almost exactly 50-50 against AJ. You are getting much better pot odds than that. Your opponent would have to have a set for you not to be getting pot odds to call, and he probably wouldn't push with a set.