PDA

View Full Version : Book Talk

Zeno
11-05-2004, 12:29 AM
Anyone have favorite book clubs or societies they belong to or favorite publishers. For example 'The Eaton Press' that puts out classics in leather bound editions at fairly reasonable prices. Or the 'Loeb Classical Library' (Little Red Books), or, one that I like a lot, 'The Library of America'. This last one puts out some fine books on American authors in great editions and sets. I have much of Twain's writings in these editions.

I also like to get box sets of books. This is a great way to get a number of works by a favorite author at a reasonable price and the books are usually well made. For example, I have two book sets (six volumes each, within sturdy slipcases) of P. G. Wodehouse novels. A set on Jeeves and Wooster and one set of 'Best of Blandings (which I am plowing through right now).

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. - Mark Twain

raisins
11-05-2004, 05:14 AM
MY favorite publishers are NYRB. They are publishing various out of print somewhat forgotten classics (whatever that word means).

You may not recognize any titles but check them out. I think they have great taste.

raisins