PDA

View Full Version : Starting Hands with NO ante?

12-31-2001, 03:57 AM
I was offered a weekly seat in a $.50-$1.00 7 stud game with no ante. I know, I know bunch of cheapskates anyway. Low card brings in for a $.25. There are normally 6-8 players. I've played with these guys a couple of times before. I normally play in small stud games with a small to medium ante. ($1-$2 with a dime.) How does not having an ante combined with 4-5 players in every pot change my starting hand requirements? I was thinking that I'd just play queens or higher, 3 to a str8 flush, Ace-big 3 flushes, and rolled trips of course. The problem with this is I wouldn't get any action. Let alone the fact that it would bore the shit right out of me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

12-31-2001, 04:13 AM
It should play like Vegas 1-5 stud which doesn't have an ante.

The approach you describe is much too tight. You can definitely play any live pair for the bring-in hoping to catch trips, two-pair or a three-flush on 4th street. You should also play any live 3-flush and live big 3-straights.

12-31-2001, 12:15 PM
Hello,Broker,

If the game is loose-passive{very little raising,many callers on several streets,you don't have to play tight.

Just don't play as loose as the rest of the field. What you want to do is lose some pots,but win enough to show an overall long term profit.

This play will give you enough action and you will not be too bored.

Just because there is no ante,that doesn't mean you have to play tight,but just do not play looser than your opponents.

Sitting Bull

12-31-2001, 03:20 PM
I suggest playing enough hands to have a good time. Life is too short to be playing .50/1 seriously. You won't have a good time if you don't play any hands. So loosen up and if you lose, treat is an entertainment expense.

TRLS

12-31-2001, 04:14 PM
You have to play looser than you describe. Not only will it help you but you wont get the rep of a too tight player which can make youunwelcome in many games. When I am in loose home games I play many hands for one bet even if I am folding on the next card and even if I have nothing. Just being in there often will pay tremendous dividends when you have a hand and they all stay in.

Pat

01-01-2002, 10:33 AM
Also, as a regular small home game player, when everyone is staying with crap the mediocre hand may be king...