PDA

View Full Version : Shut up a table coach on a new table?

bernie
11-04-2004, 09:24 PM
I thought about this question when someone mentioned 'muting' a tablecoach at an online table.

It's a wonderful tactic when new to a table to use.

If you were in a new game/table where you don't know anyone, whether online or live (big room or small), would you want to shut him up? Is there a time frame?

b

stanky
11-04-2004, 09:31 PM
I've never felt the need to shut up a tablecoach. Not only does he give great info on his betting patterns but you can often pick up reads on the other players who respond to him.

-pete

digdeep
11-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Initially I don't always mind this. It gives tremendous insight into how that person plays, and sometimes it makes the game not so monotonous. However, after a while, I guess that depends on how good of day I am having at the tables, it begins to perturb me. And if I am having a bad day I will coach him right back. Normally though, somebody else at the table is more impatient than I am, and they do a fine job at lessoning the didactic remarks.

daveymck
11-05-2004, 06:26 AM
Only time I worry is if someone is constantly picking on someone and they are a live one and not answering back.

If they are talking back chances are they are not going to get up from the table, if they are very quiet then generally after so much abuse they tend to leave.

bernie
11-05-2004, 03:14 PM
This is even more-so true on a new table. It helps accelerate you learning of the players.

However, i do put a little time limit on it. After awhile, you have a decent line on everyones play, and you do just want him to shut up. Especially if he's berating other players. Which is one reason i try and get him to talk more about 'his' play than others. They love to talk about their own games and how they like to play 'better' players than bad players. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

b

MoreWineII
11-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Online, I play perma-muted. Table chatter is just a nuisance to me.

Live, I don't care as long as the table coach isn't making the fishies feel uncomfortable.

Recently, I played this hand live:

I had KQs UTG and open-raised. About 4 people called. The flop was QJT. I bet, 2 players called. The turn was a 9. Action was capped. River blanked and the button won with a poorly played AKo. The BB who had 99 (lol) proceeded to berate me (I didn't care) for betting the worst hand the whole way. But when he started in on the button, I asked the dealer to shut the guy up. I simply didn't want him to change the button's style of play or make him want to leave the table.

namknils
11-05-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never felt the need to shut up a tablecoach. Not only does he give great info on his betting patterns but you can often pick up reads on the other players who respond to him.

-pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, this is why I never mute the chat on my tables. I don't really care what they say and I dont talk myself, but I like to know when people are getting irratated and who is getting under who's skin. When someone gets affected by the chat and becomes a maniac for a while I like to know why they all of the sudden changed.

The chat never gets me mad, mostly because if they aim anything at me I just stay silent.

Victor
11-05-2004, 05:04 PM
I like to hear a table coach. It is information and all information is useful so no way do I mute him.

I do think, however, that means of actually making him shut up would be helpful. I really hate it when they chase away the fish. This usually occurs when 1 or 2 other players at the table chime in to add berations to the fishie.

Happened to me last night too. Fishie capped the flop, turn and river with just a pair of aces queen kicker against a guy who flopped 2pair. I had a gutshot/flush draw so I got charged out the ass. He continued his maniacal play for a few more hands until he left amidst constant insults from a few "coaches." So dumb, as that guy was easily worth. Oh well, rant over.

bernie
11-05-2004, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The chat never gets me mad, mostly because if they aim anything at me I just stay silent

[/ QUOTE ]

I try and ask leading questions on their play. Act as if im learning from them. Then as they gleefully explain why they play the way they do, which is usually wrong, i watch how others react to their speal.

One objective of this is to keep them aiming stuff at me rather than the donators. And if he wants to spout wrong strategies, who am i to correct him? Especially if everyone else is chiming in how they agree with him. Even elaborating for him.

However, him relentlessly making fun of the bad players is a little different.

b

DesertCat
11-06-2004, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He continued his maniacal play for a few more hands until he left amidst constant insults from a few "coaches."

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to take control of this situation, this fish is your guest and he's there to enjoy himself, don't let the coaches screw it up. Ridicule them.

me "This guy's beating you like a tin drum, and you're both whining like three year olds"

table coach "he's terrible, raising with 72 offsuit?"

me "Apparently he's smarter than you. He's winning, you're on tilt"

tc "I'm not on tilt. He's going to lose all his money"

me "don't you mean, all your money? Half his stack he took off you"

tc "he doesn't know how to play, he should do (this) instead of (that)"

me "Now the table loser is a poker coach? Shouldn't you win a hand first?"

pc "he sucks, he sucks, he sucks"

me "harrassment is grounds for having your account locked"

that last line usually shuts them up for good. After giving the last line, I've actually run into coaches again at new tables and they were always on their best behavior.

DrewOnTilt
11-06-2004, 01:36 PM
If you want to know some ways of shutting the table coach up, see this post I made in the Psychology forum a few weeks ago. In spite of the fact that the thread got hijacked and half the posts discuss John F. Kennedy (don't ask), some of the responses are absolutely hilarios.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board