PDA

View Full Version : 99 Hand....How was my line?

Seether
11-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13.33 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.66 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds.

River: (11.66 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 11.66 BB

I didnt have any real specific reads on this hand. I check raised the flop because I felt there was a strong chance that the button simply had overs and if he had me beat (AJ or a higher pocket pair) he would likely 3 bet with the flush draw being there. With CO calling 2 cold on the flop I put him on possibly the flush draw or possibly a weak jack that he did not want to lay down. Turn bet is standard I think. The river, well it makes it more likely that he is not holding a jack, but I dont think betting would serve a purpose here. I dont see anything Im beating calling a bet from me here, while hands beating me will most likely raise, and a check might induce a bluff. What do you guys think?

Alobar
11-04-2004, 08:16 PM
I bet the river, after all the strength youve shown, I doubt he bluffs a busted draw. but he WILL bet a jack, and check everything else he would call with (a smaller pocker pair, or something like A7, bottom pair, etc).

He'll call more hands than he will bet with, and hell not have a jack more often than he will have a jack, so you come out ahead

Seether
11-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the input. I was very very close to betting this river but Ive been running bad lately and I think a raise would have made my stomach churn a little. You made a nice read that he could call down with a lower pocket pair as he showed 44, which would not have even crossed my mine as I couldnt see someone sticking around with such a weak hand after so much strength was shown throughout the hand.

Victor
11-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Bet the river because he wil call you down with a a pair of sevens. If you are raised on the river you have a safe laydown.

Nick C
11-04-2004, 09:00 PM
I can't really speak for 3/6, but one weakness I've noticed among many Party 2/4 players is that they overvalue their low pocket pairs. I see this when I check hand histories and also when I get raised or check-raised by rivered sets and also when I call river scare-card bluff-raises.

That said, the river bet in the hand in question is a difficult one for me to make. But I agree with Alobar's commentary on this hand, and I hope I'm getting better at making the river bets that I should.

In any event, I like your play in the hand prior to the river. I think the flop check-raise in particular is good because you may be ahead and the check-raise puts pressure on MP3 and CO.

Nick C
11-04-2004, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river because he wil call you down with a a pair of sevens. If you are raised on the river you have a safe laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be a safe laydown? I'm asking because I don't know, and I'm curious what others have to say.

I know the situations don't match up exactly, but how rare do you think MP1's river play is in the following hand? (He was fairly new to the table and I didn't have much of a read on him yet.)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, UTG+1 folds.

River: (9.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has As Ad (two pair, aces and kings).
MP1 has 8h 8d (two pair, kings and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.75 BB. </font>

HajiShirazu
11-05-2004, 05:06 AM
The best card in the deck for you other than a 9 hits and you fail to bet the river. Disappointing.