PDA

View Full Version : omaha vs holdem

12-27-2001, 05:40 AM
Recently, I've started to play Omaha, and I've found Omaha is a game involved more luck than holdem. I wonder what do the 2+2'ers think? Thanks.

12-27-2001, 09:18 AM
I think omaha may be more of a draw-out game than hold-em

BUT it may require more skill to recognize and evaluate the drawing hand both before and after the flop

rather sure that it is much easier for a player to make a mistake in omaha

perhaps you will change your thinking about the luck factor after you have played more omaha

12-27-2001, 02:02 PM
Call losing to an ace high flush with a nine high flush luck if you want. Call playing a hand with 8-8-4-3 and then losing to K-K-K-Q-Q with 8-8-8-Q-Q luck if you want.

You have to recognize that, because more cards are involved, you generally need to be closer to the nuts on the river than you do in Texas hold 'em.

Accordingly, after the flop decent Omaha and Omaha-8 players are usually on a one card draw. When they hit their draws, half of the time they hit them on the turn and the other half of the time they hit them on the river.

Call hitting a draw luck if you want.

More often than not Omaha-8 players miss their draws. Sometimes they manage to win anyway. Call recognizing when your opponents have missed their draws and taking advantage of the situation luck if you want.

Properly preparing for the luck, recognizing when you have more of it than your opponents, and then acting appropriately may take some knowledge of the game of Omaha or Omaha-8.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

12-27-2001, 05:45 PM
It only seems that way because you're a beginner. You're probably playing too many hands and playing too many non-nut or (if you're playing hi-lo split) half-pot draws.

TRLS

01-02-2002, 03:48 PM
Doesn't 5 Eights beat 4 Queens?

--Bob "not to be taken seriously" Sweeney

01-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Bob - Thanks. Brought a smile to my lips.

Yesterday I was dealt Ac-Kh-Kd-Qc in mid position. The flop, Kd-9h-2s, was checked to me, I bet and six of us saw the turn. Doesn't get any better than that!

The turn, 4c, was checked to me, I bet and was called by four players. The river was 4s. Some fool playing a pair of fours (4d-4h-7h-Qd) under the gun beat me.

That's loose, low-limit Omaha-8. Dissappointed my king boat lost? You bet! But it goes with the territory. Then I waited two hours before I was dealt another playable hand. That goes with the territory too. I'm not a rock, but all the players at that table surely thought I was on that night.

Texas hold 'em? That's a nice game but you only get two cards. Not enough cards!

Seven stud? That's a nice game too, but you get seven cards and you have to remember all those cards your opponents have already folded. Too many cards!

But Omaha-8! Five eights? No, it's not that bad, but it is a river game. And I love it. I love looking down at those four cards, even when I have to muck them, even when someone playing crap beats me on the river.

Thanks again for the smile, Bob.

Buzz