PDA

View Full Version : "I earned Political Capital in the election, and I intend to spend it"

GWB
11-04-2004, 07:02 PM
I said this today in my press conference. It is the right approach to take for my new term. The American people have spoken.

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 07:03 PM
who said such a thing...

daveymck
11-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Its an interesting and in a way worrying quote.

adios
11-04-2004, 07:37 PM
He's likely referring to domestic initiatives:

WASHINGTON - Contending Americans have embraced his conservative agenda, President Bush (news - web sites) pledged Thursday to aggressively pursue major changes in Social Security (news - web sites), the tax code and medical malpractice awards, working with Democrats if they are receptive and leaving them behind if they're not.

Bush Pledges to Make Changes to Tax Code (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20041104/ap_on_el_pr/bush_33)

I expect him to propose to make his tax cuts permanent, perhaps a consumption tax, introduce private savings accounts in lieu of S.S. contributions and legislation limiting punative damages in medical malpractice cases.

andyfox
11-04-2004, 11:37 PM
No tax cut can be permanent, can it? Is it not the case that the tax cuts are set to expire at some time in the future and that by making them "permanent," we mean to eliminate the expiration of the reduced rates?

Indeed, Bush specifically mentioned Social Security, tax simplification, and medical malpractice awards at his press conference today. I would also guess that he might propose permanent elimination of the estate tax.

tolbiny
11-04-2004, 11:42 PM
"working with Democrats if they are receptive and leaving them behind if they're not."

This is an example of two things.

1. Why Bush scares the hell out of me as president.
2. Why Bush will never be a uniter like he claims.

mmcd
11-04-2004, 11:55 PM
The Federal Estate Tax costs more money to administer than it collects. How it has survived for this long is beyond me. That being said, I don't think it will really even make much of a difference whether its elimination becomes permanent or not for all but a VERRRRY few people. By the time 2010 rolls around, the credit is going to cover everything up to 5 million. When the estate tax gets eliminated, the stepped-up basis goes with it. Between the 5 million that passes tax-free, and the unlimited marital deduction, the elimination of the tax would probably only affect people who have estates north of 15-20 million.

Abednego
11-05-2004, 01:34 AM
And the reason I love him ...... if the Dems won't work with him and the republican congress then who needs them. The simple fact of the matter is that there are some that it is not possible to work with.

Cyrus
11-05-2004, 02:54 AM
What else is new?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stu Pidasso
11-05-2004, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I earned Political Capital in the election, and I intend to spend it

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"working with Democrats if they are receptive and leaving them behind if they're not."

This is an example of two things.

1. Why Bush scares the hell out of me as president.
2. Why Bush will never be a uniter like he claims.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually an example of a strong president. Bush knows he will never get everything he wants. He knows he will have to give some things he doesn't want.

Bush is letting the democrats know that he is the one who will be setting the agenda. He is not saying anything like, "Its my way or the highway" as you are implying.

If Kerry he had won the presidency along with democratic control of the congress, he wouldn't have the leadership skills to set an agenda.

Stu

Stu Pidasso
11-05-2004, 03:21 AM
GWB, I think Cyrus has made a good point here.

Id like to expand on it by adding that I hope you learn what a veto is and use it.

Stu

Spladle Master
11-05-2004, 04:46 AM
Political capital isn't the only thing he's going to be spending, I think . . . the man's like a teenage girl with a credit card. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tolbiny
11-05-2004, 09:58 AM
"This is actually an example of a strong president. Bush knows he will never get everything he wants. He knows he will have to give some things he doesn't want."

What do you mean? Bush went to the UN to ask for a multilateral invasion of iraq. He didn't get it and went any way. His statement said that if people agree with him then good, if not he's going to do it anyway. The only approach he knows is the my way or the higway appraoch. The only bipartisan efforts he has led were the Patriot Act which is in danger of having sections removed because of their constitutionality. And the NCLB act which is now being opposed by most of its former supporters because it is massivly flawed.
But that is not the point- Bush didn't cross party lines and gain the moderate vote, he didn't reach out to those who disagreed with him and offer compromise- he galvanized his base, a good political move, but those people already agreed with him. This isn't being a leader, this is pushing your own agenda at the expense of people who disagree with you.
Remeber that our elected officals work for All of us, not just the ones who voted for him.

texaspimp
11-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Memo to everyone:

BUSH WON!

The people that should be reaching out and declaring that they will work in a bipartisan fashion are the DEMOCRATS.

The Republicans are more than willing to work with the other side of the aisle. However, they will not have their agenda hijacked by a losing ideology.

How often did the Dems work with and reach out to the Republicans when they controlled Congress since the dawn of man?????

KanigawaCards7
11-05-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Political capital isn't the only thing he's going to be spending, I think . . . the man's like a teenage girl with a credit card. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats awesome /images/graemlins/grin.gif

zephed56
11-05-2004, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I earned Political Capital in the election, and I intend to spend it"

[/ QUOTE ]
He should learn to balance a checkbook first.

Kopefire
11-05-2004, 11:53 AM
While I am not a GWB supporter, the man won over 50% of the popular vote -- something that hasn't happened in a presidential election since 1988.

His party also now controls 55 seats in the Senate and 277 seats in the House. Major republican backed initiatives passed across the country.

Like it or not -- he has been told by his nation that he has a mandate of the people.

I wish he didn't, but he does. And frnakly, he's absolutely right to take these results, turn to the Dems and say "get in line or get lost . . . "

adios
11-05-2004, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No tax cut can be permanent, can it? Is it not the case that the tax cuts are set to expire at some time in the future and that by making them "permanent," we mean to eliminate the expiration of the reduced rates?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah ok that's right.

tolbiny
11-05-2004, 12:43 PM
That is incorrect- he is still beholden to every citizen of our country- not just to the ones that elected him. The reason we are a republic and not a straight democracy is the idea that having an issue decided by what 51% of the population wants would be a terrible system of government. He doenst have a mandate, he has some amount of permission.

Stu Pidasso
11-05-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His statement said that if people agree with him then good, if not he's going to do it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush is going to push his agenda because most of America, most of the House of Representatives, and Most of the Senate agree with his agenda. The democrats can choose to be part of that agenda or choose not to be. They are not being shut out of it.

Some of the democrats are like those whinny little kids in the hood. You know the ones I'm talking about. They go home crying, "no one wants to play with me" becuase all the other kids want to play stickball and they want to play street hockey.

Stu