PDA

View Full Version : On Reading Books--Men"The Master"Nguyan

12-25-2001, 09:31 PM
Hello,Players,

The 7-card stud poker prodigy said that he has never read a poker book. He further states that those who do tend to play too much like the books tell them to play and therefore,are easily readable. Can anyone refute his statement?

Sitting Bull

12-26-2001, 10:45 AM
The statement is true. If you can determine the players who are strict disciples of what they've read, you have a significant advantage in reading them.

That doesn't mean one shouldn't read the books, of course. In fact, it's a very good reason to make sure you do read them. How does Nguyan know if players are playing by the book if he hasn't read the book?

Tom D

12-26-2001, 03:25 PM
Hello,Tom,

Maybe "The Master" has received numerous feedback from players who have read the book(s).

Don't know.

Sitting Bull

12-26-2001, 11:12 PM
I don't know Men at all. His tournament record is certainly outstanding but my understanding is that ring game play is a different story.

With that in mind, I do agree that there are a few players who have so much natural talent that looking at a book may not help them. But for the other 99.99 percent, good books, along with experience and much time thinking about the game is the way to go.

12-26-2001, 11:36 PM
It sounds like Men is using a little 'Psyops' here , maybe suggesting that we should throw away our books , I don't know.

Those who play 'too much' the books are more readable but a skillful player knows how to mix his play up to throw his opponents off and make himself as unreadable as he wants to be.

It all boils down to skill which in most cases has it's foundation in the books.

John..

12-27-2001, 09:43 AM
I read the interview where he said that and felt that was an interesting point...

we know he has to be wrong about the books

but I feel that his comment underscores a point which some players do fail to value enough---that is, that DECEPTION has great value!!